Dual socket motherboards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackdw

Someone who has asked me to do a build for them said they wanted a dual socket processors. Is it just a case of a normal build, just whack on two CPU's and heatsinks and boot it up and install the OS?

Never done dual sockets before...
Thanks
Jack

u buy a dual socket motherboard and 2 processors that are compatable with the socket types and heatsinks and fans and the usual. The bios might be a little diffrent but i think that is the only real diffrence

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I am curious if they really mean "dual core" instead of "dual socket"? If dual socket, many Xeon and Opteron server MOBOs require ECC RAM.

i must have miss read. there are dual socket mobo which is mobo that houses 2 processors but no dual SOCKET processor ask them do they mean a dual socket processor or dual core

TWO processors and one motherboard with two sockets--it should automatically support SMP.

Maybe the person wanted a dual core processor?

Dual processors are for servers, and are a pretty expensive desktop route. Look at Tyan motherboards--they're the standard for dual processor server boards.

jackdw

No not dual core, dual socket. IE, two seperate processors with their own socket.

Opterons or Xeons then.

Probaby best to choose the CPU's first and then hunt down a board.

They have a few quad processor boards too--how fun would that be???

It would be pretty awesome to set up a quad core, dual core Xeon rig and see what it can handle. A little look into the future of computing...

jackdw

But can you just run the thing normally? Will it be like a dual core? Ie, two CPU's show in task manager?

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
jackdw said:
But can you just run the thing normally? Will it be like a dual core? Ie, two CPU's show in task manager?
TaskManager will show two Xeons as two CPUs if Hyperthreading is not enabled, or as four CPUs if Hyperthreading is enabled. It runs just like any other PC. Whether two Xeons is faster or better than one dual core CPU depends on how it is used.

I have dual 2.0GHz Xeons in a simulator system with eleven PCI and PCI-X boards, running XP Pro SP1 with about 160 :eek: processes running.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online