1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Video Cards single monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by firebirdYcamaro, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firebirdYcamaro

firebirdYcamaro Thread Starter

Is it true you can run dual video cards on a single moniter for better video preformance? Does anyone know any good articles or can give a brief run down of the process for me please?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    Scott

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're talking about SLI (nVIdia) or CrossFire (ATI). In truth, from what I've read, you'll be better served by putting the money that you'd spend on the two video cards into one really high-end video card. There are plenty of stories about issues getting SLI systems to perform better than a single video card.

3. Compiler

Compiler

SLI/CF (2 or more video cards, so for the max is 4) are great things - if youre totally hardcore and have lots of money to blow.

But I and many others are not always impressed with them. You have to have matching cards, need bigger power supplies (600~1000watts) more cooling, an SLI motherboard, etc etc which means more money. The concpet of SLI is that you can "upgrade" a card in a sense by adding another later... but usually high-end cards get discontinued very fast and the NEW bad boys are usually the same price and are faster than SLI on older tech.

You have not listed your systems specs. Your computer and video card maynot support SLI anyways.

From what I see, when a game really needs the power of a NEW card, there is always something on the market to handle it... otherwise wait 6-9 months for the NEXT new thing.

Example: 18 months ago, the GF6800Ultras were the badboys at $400~500 each (Thats about $1000 for SLI) But 6 months ago, a single $150 7600GT (my card) would be faster in HL2, check it out:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=529&model2=537&chart=197

The 6800GT ($350 when new)/ 6800Ultras were TOP cards less than 2 years ago.

72fps - 7600GT ($150)
    68fps - 6800Ultras x2 ($900)
    59fps - 6800GT x2 ($700)

PREY:
    46fps - 7600GT ($150)
    44fps - 6800Ultras x2 ($900)
    38fps - 6800GT x2 ($700)

ATI's CrossFire seems to be a bit better for dual cards than Nvidia.

X2 GF 7900GTX cards were $1000~1200, yet 6~8 months later a single shiney new 880-GTS ($500, but now down to $400) would smoke it.

Play with that chart... I think that should show you all the performance issues ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/532251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice