1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual video cards vs single

Discussion in 'Games' started by AngryPenguin, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngryPenguin

AngryPenguin Thread Starter

Configuring a new computer and have a few questions. Will be gaming quite a bit on it with COD4 and other new titles. Performance is the factor here. Can either have :

512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT or

Dual 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 GTS - SLI Enabled

Which will give the best performance? I know the single has a faster gpu, but does the dual make up the speed?

Also with the SLI should I go xp or vista?

2. Jones

Jones

My two coppers:

XP for the OS. It uses fewer system resources and 'currently' has fewer stability issues, driver issues, and compatibility issues. Until they get Vista more 'ironed out', I personally am going to avoid it like the plague. DirectX 10 isn't THAT great.

For the video card, I think you'd be far better off with the 8800gt than two 8600's in SLI. Keep in mind that 2 cards does not equal 2 times the performance. The 8800 is a far more powerful processor. Check out the charts here for some comparisons:

Single card: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

Dual card:http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html

3. McTimson

McTimson

Definitely stick with the single 8800. If you could get 2 of them, then that would be better, but for games, the improved core and memory speeds of the 8800 will far outweigh the fact that you would have 2 of a lesser core. Dual video cards really show their power when you have to render lots of things, like 3D modeling programs, but for games, speed is the necessity, and the 8800 will deliver better than 2 8600's.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I fourth that notion.

5. AngryPenguin

AngryPenguin Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the replies. Special props to Jones. That's a great site with comparisons. I'm trying to configure an alienware laptop so I'm not sure I can swing dual 8800's. But will definitely go with the single 8800 if i cant. I'll also go with xp. I sincerely dont want to deal with power hungry vista. Again, thanks for the help ya'll. It's really appreciated. Now if I could only find a promotion or coupon for alienware.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice