1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dual video cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brigasm, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brigasm

brigasm Thread Starter

Ok this dude has two video cards right on each other. He is experiencing unit shutdown when playing online games. I ran furmark and saw that his temp went up to 90 degress C within 1 minute. So i notice his fans were only at like 20 percent.I took one card out and tested with the fan up to 100 percent and it ran very cool. His case has fans everywhere. I told him that he should just run it with one fan. He said he turned up his fans full blast while they were both installed and it smelled like something was burning. These cards are very close together. The band that links them doesnt even extend. it arcs. Is there any other option for this guy ? I think not but I am not too familiar with video card set ups. Any advice is welcome thanks :)

2. brigasm

brigasm Thread Starter

Like is there a motherboard where the pci express slots are spaced apart a little further ?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What did the temperature go up on? CPU or video card?

Also what video cards? 90 degrees may not be that high for certain graphics cards.

He also needs a power supply for two video cards, and it needs to be a quality brand and not some cheapo unit.

Complete systems specs are needed.

But yes there are board with greater spacing or more PCI-Express slots that you could get to spread out the cards,but that may not be the full problem.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Better to have a few, efficient case fans in a case designed to accommodate air flow than "fans everywhere".

5. brigasm

brigasm Thread Starter

the PSU is 1200 watt. I never let the cards get to a idle temp because they were at 91 in a minute and was climbing fast.i dont have the equipment right now so i can not give specs. i will look into it tomorrow.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Specs are definately needed, including what case it is and what size that case is, exact fan setup and whether each fan is blowing air into or out of the case. Make, model and revision of every component (motherboard, RAM, GPU's, PSU etc).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice