1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Video Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MetalSmith, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MetalSmith

MetalSmith Thread Starter

I have a question on setting up 2 monitors. I have a digital projector and an LCD monitor running on my ATI video card. It can run both monitors but the problem is I cannot run each monitor with a different resolution. My projector goes up to 800x600 and I want my LCD to go higher but it can't because the video card only puts out the same on each port.

Can I add another video card to the system and have it run a different resolution? I wanted to know this before I go buy another card :) thanks for any input.

Matt

2. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

I think you just answered yourself "same on each port". If your monitor supports DVI (most do) you can get a dual head card with DVI and VGA. Else, you can get a XGA converter with a Y cable to convert your VGA to S-video for your projector which is close to 800.

If what you are trying to say is that your s-video port is set at 800x600 which also changes your VGA port as well on a dual head ATI card, you should try new drivers as the older ones seemed to have that problem in the rush to market.

3. MetalSmith

MetalSmith Thread Starter

Yes my ATI card has a DVI going to the LCD and the VGA going to the digital projector. I can't run each port independently with a different resolution. It keeps it the same on both ports. I have 2 problems. Which ever monitor is setup as the secondary within windows it does not produce great video, it does not refresh the screen as nice as the primary monitor does. Also I cant keep the VGA port at 800x600 and run the DVI port at 1024x768. Thats why I was thinking of adding another card so each card would have its own resources to run the different resolutions.

Thanks

Matt

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

You can just replace that card, or as suggested search for new drivers.
    Any decent or semi-modern video card with dual outs should allow multiple resolutions, my 9600 does it no problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice