1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Video Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by automator, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. automator

automator Thread Starter

I was thinking of purchasing a motherboard with two pci express x16 slots along with two pci express cards. Do you have to do anything special for dual video cards or would you just pop em' both in and do what you normally do?

2. MongooseDog

MongooseDog

You will need a PCB connector.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

SLI requires two identical cards along with the sli bridge. The bridge usually comes in the mb package since the card mfg does not know what board you are installing to and they are not all the same size.

SLI boards default to non-sil so you will need to set it to use sli. This is normally by a setting in the bios. Some boards may use a jumper for this also.

IMO sli is little more than a gimmick. The technology is not new; it has been around since the old voodoo cards. Do some reading before you buy your parts since the sli board costs more and you have the expense of two video cards. BTW one 7800gt will outperform two 6800 cards and cost a little less.

4. Wheely34

Wheely34

Sorry to but in and ask another question automator, but wat if the two cards arent identical, wat would happen?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why do you feel the need for dual video cards? Many newer video adapters support dual monitors anyway...

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

By putting in a second mortgage on their homes, gamers can expect a whole whopping 2 extra FPS
    in their gaming system.

You know...like when you gotta absolutely, positively, have to benchmark some incredible score with no discernable real world application in mind.

Think something on the lines of "Overclocking Your CD tray".

7. brite750

brite750

get one 7800gtx and be happy, sli is kind of a joke, or is it clever marketing????, they know some people just have to have more, more ghz, more watts, more ram, bigger hard drives, two cards instead of one, now some of those things have practical value depending on what you do with your pc, but two gfx cards has yet to make any real sense, unless youre just looking for bragging rights, and like has been said, the one guy with the 7800 is just gonna laugh at you anyway.

8. Smety

Smety

SLI is great . . . but not right now. I made that mistake, I found that I can run any game out full graphics, everything juiced up, without any problems with ONE 7800GTX, but I bought 2 . . . this though, will come in handy when better more resource taking games come out, then I will be ahead of the game :)

Just buy one 7800GT or X850 XT and you will be fine for now . . .

9. GripS

GripS

It wouldn't work. Ati's crossfire is reported to not require identical video cards but as it stands now SLI still requires IDENTICAL cards. Cards from different manufacturers will not work together in SLI.

As it stands now the best way to go is to buy a single 7800gtx if you want the ultimate gaming card. THEN when next gen cards come out and prices drop buy another if you want.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice