1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual video cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zpipes, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zpipes

zpipes Thread Starter

I was wondering if I could have a crash course on dual vids, one monitor. My board specifies that you can either run 1 pcie 2.0 @ 16 or 2 at x8/x8. Even though the split I'm sure you would still get better performance from 2.

Anyhow, how exactly does it work?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

How does it work? Im a very very complicated fashion.
    If you want a simple answer, depends if you want ATI or Nvidia. In terms of how they workness, Nvidia splits the work between two cards (fairly evenly) whereas with ATI, one card does the work until the second, whereupon it kicks in. In real terms, makes no difference.

as far as user goes, there is little to do. With ATI, if you have 2 cards installed that are compatible, it will default to Crossfire and both cards are used. With Nvidia (not used it for a while) it defaults to SLI. same end effect, different names.

you need to bear in mind that the mobo needs to support SLI or Crossfire (newer ones may do both), the manual should tell you.

3. zpipes

zpipes Thread Starter

Thanks, my mb does say it features Quad-GPU SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support. I would run 2 Nvidia cards, probably 460 Fermi. Can you mix and match or should they both be the same, i.e., can one card be Nvidia GTX 460 while the other is the GTX 550?

Also all I need to do is plug em in and they will automatically work in SLI mode? Would i plug the monitor into the card in the first pcie 2.0 slot or the second? First slot is what I would think. Thanks for the help.

4. zpipes

zpipes Thread Starter

quick bump for info, lookin toorder the new vid card today.

5. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

nvidia's need to be the same unless your using a graphics card, and another cheaper one [gtx 460] as a physx card, you'll need to set them up in SLI using the control panel and you need the SLI bridge - that is a MUST! [except for the Physx method] should be a set-up wizard in nvidia control panel to guide you through the SLI managing.
    SOME drivers work better than others, its not the latest that are necessarily the best ones.
    plug monitor into top one or else specify it in nvidia control panel
    the way i did it, kept my 8800gt in physx, bought a gtx 580 as the main card [<< very hot]
    might also need some special SLI drivers from nvidia website

6. zpipes

zpipes Thread Starter

lol. well i got one 460 1g, instead of going the $500 route, I'll just grab another 460 1g. that 580 looks pretty bad ***, mebe someday haha.

7. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

two 460's have very good scaling so it should come close to just over a 470 performance

8. zpipes

zpipes Thread Starter

I just looked at your sig lol, nice rigs, you pretty much get top of the line when it hits dont ya?

9. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

they are a bit random,
    an old Q6600 with a gtx 580 [a couple generations behind now...]
    core i7 with a GT220 [serious overkill] though im probably gonna sell this one if i can, i wont have much space when i come back from uni...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice