1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Video Output or Two Separate Video Cards for Plasma Display?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Dec 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Okay, here's what I want to do. I want to send video output to a Plasma in my family room and also have output to the computer monitor in the adjacent office. I have the option of using either VGA or DVI to either monitor, so I can use a video card that has dual VGA/DVI outputs. Or, I can buy a separate PCI video card. Right now I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 7500.

Am I better off to get a new video card with dual monitor output or have two separate video cards. If the former, what video cards do you recommend? I know I've seen recommendations for the 9600 Pro, which seems to have dropped significantly in price? I'd like to stay with ATI as I've always used that.

2. DVOM

DVOM

What OS are you using? XP and 98 both have native support for multi monitors while w2k doesn't.

To get true twin view in w2k I'd recommend an nforce card as the drivers now enable true twin view while ATI doesn't.

I'm using an ATI 7500 (not an All-in-Wonder) with 2 monitors in XP and it works great.

3. Mulderator

WinXP OS

4. Mulderator

Bumping this up.

5. wedor

wedor

I have a system with XP Pro running a LCD monitor off of the VGA port and a projector off of the DVI port on a 7500, works great.

6. DVOM

DVOM

I can't recommend a specific card but as far as whether to use a single card with dual output or two separate cards, I don't think it matters. I've seen people go either route and get good results.

So I think your main consideration would be how many spare PCI slots you've got.

7. Mulderator

PCI slots are not a problem. Actually, if I had a really good video card, I would just get another cheapo PCI one. I have an ATI 7500 All-in-Wonder. A decent card, but certainly not a really good one. I figure I can spend 40 or 50 bucks to get a cheapo PCI card or I can go another $100 for so and have a really good Dual Output card. It's a tough choice, but I think you are right that the results will be the same.

It's one of those choices that seem to have equal pros and cons on both sides and was fishing for opinions on which way to go.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Is this an actual plasma TV you are trying to output to or an LCD? If you install another card it will only give you a larger virtual desktop...like spanning two screens. I think your first option would be best as long as the software or drivers give you the ability to run them both at the same time.

9. Mulderator

No, its an actual Plasma TV that I want to output to. It works real well. Right now I just switch cables, but that's a pain in the arse because I have to reboot to get it to recognize the Plasma TV.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/189021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice