1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual Wireless Router setup issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eviltane, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eviltane

eviltane Thread Starter

Good Day .

I am trying to setup a Wireless Home Network that extends to 2 different Parts of a Large House. Since the House is large 1 Router does not have the Signal strength to cover it all. I have a second wireless Router , a Spare Lan switch and 150ft Ethernet Cord to connect everything.

I thought it would be pretty simple to hook it all together I had the following plan in mind.

(Cable Modem)<<---Cord-->> W Router1 <<------Long 150ft Cord----->> W Router 2

The cable Modem Hitched up to Internet Port of Wireless Router 1.

I changed the actuall network names and passords for this Post.

Wireless Router 1 Setup:
    (Cable Modem plugged into Internet Port of Router 1)

Name: Router 1.
    Wlan: DHCP
    Wireless / Lan : DHCP\
    Network Name: Internet1
    Sercurity Password: Password1
    -IP: 192.168.1.1
    -DHCP Range: 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199

(Now the Long Cat 5 goes from Lan Port 1 of Router 1 to the Internet Port of Router 2)

Name: Router 2.
    Wlan: DHCP
    Wireless / Lan : DHCP\
    Network Name: Internet2
    Sercurity Password: Password2
    -IP: 192.168.2.1
    -DHCP Range: 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.199

I know that each Indiviual component Works.

- Router 1 is the old Home Router and works great even while I am trying to connect the other Router to it.

- When I plug my Laptop into the cat 5 cable I get Internet on the Laptop (I made sure wifi was disconnected)

- I just unplugged Router 2 this morning from a Different Home Network. Where the router was sitting in the same type of setup with the only difference being that Router 1 was a straight up Lan router with no wireless.

Symptoms:
    On Router 2 The Internet light (icon of the world) will only turn on to Orange not Green.
    On Router 2 when I look at the status screen of Router 2 for Wlan it tells me:
    -DHCP enabled
    -Cable: Connected
    -Network: Not Connected.

This all leads me to think that I missed some setting on Router 1.
    Though I cant figure out what I missed. As i said My Laptop is getting and IP and connected through the Cat 5 cable just fine. Should Router 2 not be able to simply pull an IP from the IP pool Router 1 and use Router 1 as its default Gateway?

2. eviltane

eviltane Thread Starter

Does anyone want to take a shot at this?

3. srhoades

srhoades

Disable DHCP on router 2, keep it the same subnet as router one, and plug router 1 into a LAN port of router 2. Right now you have two separate networks, the above method will alleviate that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice