1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dude I got a Dell, HELP.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoffy628, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoffy628

hoffy628 Thread Starter

day one of my problems the computer froze up would do nothing so I attempted to reboot and it would not allow me to shut down so I powered off with the power button, it worked for most of that day
    then later either that day or the next it froze up again and I was able to reboot, then just yesterday I set the laptop down softly and it shut off this happened twice.
    The second time it would not boot, the power led would come on for about 4 seconds, and the battery light would flash about every 3 seconds. I tried taking the battery out and just leaving the power cord plugged in and it worked so I left it that way for some time, later in the day I put the battery back in just because I did not like leaving the battery out and having an opening for dust etc. to get in.
    I set it down awhile later and again it shut and hasn't come back on. I still get the power light for 4 secs, and and then battery light flash every 3 or 4 secs. I am a little knowledgeable about computers so I took it apart and I don't see anything wrong inside.
    I reset the CMOS just for fun and did a little cursing, then tried to pray, and here I am begging for help from you kind folks....
    I haven't tried the hammer yet, thought I would check here first... Thanks in advance for your help...
    Ron :confused:

2. Sponsor

3. fantavet

fantavet

How old is the Dell? First choice is to return it.

Does it only operate fine without the battery, just using the power chord? If so then maybe a new battery would solve the problem.

4. hoffy628

hoffy628 Thread Starter

It is an older one, 300 mhz, no warrenty here.... and no, it does not work with or without a battery now...

5. fantavet

fantavet

So at this point you are dead? You get about 4 seconds of power but obviously not enough time to check BIOS, CMOS etc...

Now I'm wondering if the motherboard is fried. Or...your power supply chord could be bad. Fat chance but it is worth a shot. Take the laptop down to a Mom & Pop PC repair place. Ask them if you can try a different chord. But my guess is that your machine is fried.

6. hoffy628

hoffy628 Thread Starter

It turned out to be that the processor has a problem of some sort. if you push down on the center of it, it will work fine until the laptop gets moved. (even slightly moved)
    I am hoping that a new processor will be the cure and not a new motherboard. Thanks for the help...
    Hoffy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/247314