1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dude Where's my wireless n?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by iball, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iball

iball Thread Starter

I have a netgear dual band router (WNDR3300). My Ubuntu laptop can see both the G and N networks. However my XP Desktop can only see the G and NOT the N. My desktop has a D-Link Rangebooster N (DWA-142).

Any help?

2. iball

iball Thread Starter

Please help

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Make sure you have the latest driver for the adapter.

Can you detect both signals with the adapter on another computer?

4. iball

iball Thread Starter

Just did. Didn't work. Also i went to another computer. We have like 3. Here is the list:

Ubuntu laptop: Found N/G
    XP Desktop: Found G
    Vista Desktop: Found G
    PSP Slim: Found G

All latest firmwares and drivers.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I think it's time to ask D-Link why the adapter detects the 'N' signal with a Linux driver but not with the XP or Vista driver.

6. iball

iball Thread Starter

no no. Every comp has its own adapter, one has a linksys, another a belkin, etc. Kinda silly because the ubuntu is using a super old g adapter, but i will call dlink.

*Update*- They are closed today. Also..i bought this adapter used so they wouldn't help me i don't think.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Answered on another board. ;)

8. iball

iball Thread Starter

From TSF:

Yes.

9. iball

iball Thread Starter

I called D Link, and the call me made me dislike them a bit. They seem to be focused on finding a blame, rather than the solution.

They said the Adapter was a wireless G and not an N, which first off is complete bull because i have the box. And two my wireless G adapter in my Ubuntu laptop can see both.

Then they said the adapter is not compatible with the Netgear router i have which is bull because i can use the G just fine with no problems.

Then they said it doesn't work because i have SP3, and i said i had SP2 before with the same problem.

Then they said its a hardware error, which it isn't because other adapters have the same problem. Thank you D-Link.

Any Help?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I didn't completely understand your response to my post # 3. Have you tried the USB adapter with other computers?

I haven't looked at any info for your router, so this question may make no sense. Can you turn off the G signal and see what happens (detecting the N signal) with those various adapters?

11. iball

iball Thread Starter

Everything is fine now, i DD WRT'ed the router

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815628