1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duel Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by geminih58, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geminih58

geminih58 Thread Starter

i have installed windows xp pro on a separate partition on my hard drive , i am already running windows 8.1 on my c drive the problem is when i boot up i only get the option to boot into windows 8.1, windows xp does not appear in the boot menu, i installed windows xp on my spare partition to run some older programmes but when my pc boots up it boots straight into windows 8.1 there is no option to boot into windows xp, if anyone can help i would be most grateful.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's strange. Maybe we can see a clue in a screen shot of the Disk Management window. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. geminih58

geminih58 Thread Starter

Many Thanks for your reply, i have attached a screenshot of my hard drive partitions.

Attached Files:

• HD.png
      HD.png
      File size:
      49.8 KB
      Views:
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Typically when you install an older Windows after a newer one only the older one is in the boot list. So your case is doubly mysterious.

Try the free EasyBDC to see if it will find and let you add the XP to the boot menu. Caveat: I have used the program with XP and with Windows 7, but have never tried it with Windows 8 or 8.1.

5. geminih58

geminih58 Thread Starter

I have already tried EasyBDC but unfortunately it will not work with windows 8.1, looks like i may be stumped with this, Many Thanks for your help.

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Try again with Easybcd. It does work with Windows 8/8.1 Do you have the latest (2.2)

7. geminih58

geminih58 Thread Starter

Hi, Can you possibly give me a step by step guide of how to use Easybcd correctly in order to achieve this, as maybe i am using the software incorrectly. Many Thanks.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you did not successfully install XP. For sure if you install XP after Vista or Windows 7 you'll only be able to boot to XP and need something like EasyBCD to set up the dual boot. Maybe something greatly changed in Windows 8 to prevent the XP installation to mess up the boot of the Windows 8, but I have my doubts.

The EasyBCD documentation covers the above. But I couldn't find anything in it to cover your situation of not being able to boot the older version of Windows.

9. geminih58

geminih58 Thread Starter

Hi, I have just deleted my second partition which i installed Windows XP on, i now only have one large partition ( my (C) drive which i have Windows 8.1 on, what is the best way to proceed to install Windows XP correctly and hopefully duel boot with Windows 8.1, Many Thanks for all your help.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you will be happier if you end up with a dual boot than with a duel boot. :D

IMO the best way is to install XP first and then install 8.1.

The second best way is probably to follow the instructions in the EasyBCD documentation in the section Installing XP as a second OS.

11. geminih58

geminih58 Thread Starter

Ha Ha yes dual is always best,unfortunately i cannot reinstall Windows 8.1 because i downloaded it using only the product key direct from Microsoft Store and even my Windows 8 installation was downloaded electronically from Microsoft on line store so i do not have any physical installation discs to reinstall Windows 8 or 8.1. ,on the bright side however i do have an installation disc for Windows XP, so if i cannot get a dual boot by installing Windows XP second then i guess i will have to give up.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You would be wise to first make sure you have a way to "recover" your Windows 8.1 in case of catastrophe. "Catastrophe" could include the hard drive becoming defective and could include something going really badly when you do any partitioning work (shrinking, deleting, installing another OS, etc.). My safety valve is a backup image on external hard drive using Macrium Reflect free, but I post that just as an example.

13. geminih58

geminih58 Thread Starter

Ok , Many Thanks again for all your help, if i have any success i will let you know.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) And, yes, we want to hear of your successes.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice