1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duel Boot will this work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 2BobW, Mar 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2BobW

2BobW Thread Starter

I would like to duel boot Win98se and Win XP Pro NTFS. I have two HD's 1-10gig and 1- 20gig.
    Here is what I would like to do, put 98 and XP on the 10-gig and have the 20-gig for Apps, Data and games.
    Questions:
    What size should the partition's on the OS HD be?
    The apps HD need's to be FAT32 correct?
    Will both partations on OS drive be primary partation's?
    Will both OS's be able to use the apps on the other HD?
    Do I need a boot program?
    If at a later time I wanted to load Linux would it need to be on the OS HD or say on a different HD?

Thanks
    BobW

2. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

What you will want to do will not work. You will not be able to access a fat32 Partition from a NTFS partition on the same machine. The only way this would work is if all of your partitions are fat32.

3. wacpt

wacpt

There is an alternative to your dilema.

A.
    To dual boot from 10gig, you will need two partitions. Primary (Active) must be used for Win98 only (Drive format - Fat32). It won't boot from any other partition.
    Install XP onto the second partion. (you can only have one primary partition per drive, this will become a secondary, or extended partion. When setting this partition up, let the WINXP setup configure this partition for you. Don't set this partition up in FDISK) WinXP can boot from any partition and will give you a boot menu at startup for you to choose the OS. (Drive format -fat32 or NTFS). (Linux is similar to win2k and XP as it can boot from any partition)

NOTE: If you use NTFS for the WinXP partition, WIN98 can't access a NTFS drive, but XP can access FAT32.

B.
    If you want to use the same software for both OS's, your data drive will need to be FAT32.
    You will need to load the software twice, once while running Win98 and again when running WinXP. You can use the same directory etc on the data drive, but you MUST install twice.
    (there is another way of doing this by selecting RUN FROM SERVER at installation drive, but as you don't have a dedicated server, this may not work efficiently and is a bit harder to setup).

Your system will operate in this configuration quite happily, but remember, if you want to access the WINXP partition while running under Win98, you will have to format the WINXP partition using FAT32.

As for partition sizes, XP will need more space for its OS system files but you will be OK setting them 50/50.

Your data drive, leave as full size unless you have another reason to partition.

Remember, some WIN98 software may not run under XP

4. 2BobW

2BobW Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guy's. I think I will give it a try

BobW

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/73404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice