1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duel Boot

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by DuO, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DuO

DuO Thread Starter

I need to know how to duel boot XP and Lunix. I know how to partion a hardrive but am unsure of what distarbution and what duel boot program would be the best for me (a Linux begginer). I currently have just XP instaled. Thanks in advance.

2. saikee

saikee

If you install a Linux, just about any distro, after having a working XP in the same computer the Linux installer has a duty to check every partition of every hard disk and will include it as a booting choice if a boot loader is detected inside.

Every MS systems has a boot loader installed in the begining of the partition it resides in. You will have to point a gun at the Linux installer's head in order not to end up with a dual boot.

What the Linux installer can't do is to know if it is a DOS or Win98 or Win2k or XP because MS systems share a common header, generally called the MBR, in their boot loader.

It is necessary for a Linux, or any other non-MS system you install, to replace the Windows MBR with its own version.

Never afraid of losing the MBR of any system as you can restore any of them. The last link of my signature documents all the commands and methods you ever need.

In a normal Linux installation, with a XP pre-installed, you should end up with a dual boot without lifting a finger. If that isn't the case I would throw away the distro and try another one.

Linux is born to multi boot. It can boot all the MS systems you manage to install into the box including those XP can't boot. (XP runs out of steam if it has to boot more than 2 DOS-based systems)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice