1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duel Booting Windows XP Pro & Vista Home Prem. with 2 Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MReddog, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MReddog

MReddog Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Dell XPS Series 4 PC and I have Windows XP Pro on a 250GB Maxtor Hard Drive that came with my PC and I just added a second Hard Drive that has Vista Home Prem. on a Seagate 250GB Hard Drive. I want to be able to login into XP and Vista separately with out having to reformat either Hard Drive. Right know the way I have it setup is that I have to open my tower and switch the cables from the Maxtor Hard Drive that as XP on it to the Seagate Hard Drive that has Vista on it which is a pain to do every time I want to switch between using XP and Vista. Is there any way to boot my XPS PC so I can chose between going into XP or Vista? I would appreciate any help I can get. THANKS.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Most modern motherboards allow you to choose which drive to boot from.
    I have an ASUS board and if I tap the F8 key before the BIOS logo shows it brings up a choice of drives to boot from. So if I had another OS installed on another drive I could choose to boot from that drive, doesnt matter if its slave or master primary or secondary IDE channel or one of the SATA drives or one of the optical drives. No opening the case and messing with cables.

On your Dell try the F12 key to get the Boot Device Menu

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

You caoul d add a boot loader like Boot Magic on Partition Magic cd.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Was the Vista install done on the same PC you have added the 2nd drive to ?

5. MReddog

MReddog Thread Starter

Yes, I installed the second Hard Drive which is the Seagate Hard Drive and than I switched the cables from the Maxtor Hard Drive that was installed by Dell with XP Pro already on it to the Seagate Hard Drive than I did a fresh install of Vista Home Prem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!