1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duel operating system

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by compwolf, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compwolf

compwolf Thread Starter

Would an Acer aspire note book with windows 8 home be able to have a duel booting OS with windows 7? I'm thinking about having both on the computer if all goes well with researching the drivers for compatibility with the windows 7, but I'm not really familiar with 2 systems on 1 drive. I do have an external Drive available if it can be done that way and connect via usb 3.0, but windows 8 really isn't working and I cant get it to do what I want it to do. Even from out of the box a PC scanner rated the Acer to be a 3.2 out of 10 while my other computers are about 7 and above.

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

I have an Acer aspire note book with Windows 7..I think you won't have any trouble. What model is your lap?

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    3.2 should not give any real difficulties with Windows 8, so perhaps the problem is related elsewhere.
    But. I assume you already have windows 8 on the Acer? If so, installing Windows 7 as a second option can lose the Win 8 boot manager. There are several ways to avoid this. My own choice is through the help of image backups. I use Acronis, but there are free ones available (Macrium springs to mind).

First ensure you have two partitions. If, at present, you have only one, shrink the Windows 8 partition, to make room from Windows 7. Give these partitions names, rather than letters, as you can be confused, at the installation stage, with letter designations.
    Make an image of window 8, and save it to a safe place, even on a third partition if in doubt -Your ext could be useful here.
    Install Windows 7 in your chosen partition. restore the Windows 8 image. You should now be in business with a normal dual boot, using the Windows 8 new boot manager.

4. compwolf

compwolf Thread Starter

Acer aspire 725

5. compwolf

compwolf Thread Starter

Ok, since there shouldn't be much of a problem using partitions using the same drive, is the process of booting directly to the windows 7 instead of 8 going to be any hassle from start up or is it going to prompt me every time?

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    It seems to vary with the user/computer. My own experience is that, using the Windows 7 boot manager, after installing windows 7 as second choice, seems to intermittently want to do a disk scan on boot. Othe members may be able to give you another opinion, or solution, on this??

7. nikomaster

nikomaster

I don't think you are going to get any trouble. It is not like you are going from Windows 7 to XP. On that case I did have problems.

8. golddust

golddust

The problem is the fast startup in Windows 8 which can be disabled:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Follow directions here and you won't get the annoying disk scans when going from 8 to 7. Had to do this on my laptop.

9. nikomaster

nikomaster

Another good option if you want a dual OS boot would be actually having a trio OS boot. You can install Linux Ubuntu and it will handle the boot menu.
    Pretty actually, but only if you like linux.

10. compwolf

compwolf Thread Starter

Alright well my main concern was with internet connectivity, and the fact I can buzz around 7 like it was xp. I got the computer back and noticed its only a wireless N and my friends network supports wireless G, which I'm guessing is where some of the issues are coming from. Correct me if I'm wrong but would that cause issues with internet dropping from time to time??

11. bbearren

bbearren

If you dual boot Windows 7/8 you will need to disable System Restore, as each OS will use the same "System Volume Information" folder for the Restore Points, and neither will work.

I don't use System Restore, as I rely totally on drive imaging for backup, so this isn't a problem for me. Also, I use the Windows 7 bootmgr, rather than Windows 8 bootmgr. Windows 8 goes through a reboot instead of just booting the other OS, while Windows 7 just boots the other OS directly. You can set either one as the default, and it will boot to that OS every time unless you intervene on startup.

12. Rearden

Rearden Banned

I'm sure the laptop has an 802.11b/g/n adapter which would work on both G and N wireless networks.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!