1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dumb Blonde Needs Your Help!! Drive Partition Question!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jenuk2004, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jenuk2004

Jenuk2004 Thread Starter

I have a 20GB harddrive, which is split up into a C drive with about 4GB and a D with the remaining 15GB or so. This was useful previously, but now I just want a C drive with all the space on there. Am I able to do this easily? I don't mind losing the info I have stored on the D drive, so am I able to delete the D drive and the space will transfer to the C? using admin tools or somesuch? Or do I need to un-partition using disks or something?

Any help would be most appreciated!!

xxx :eek:

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I'm afraid there's only one way to do this retroactively, Jen, without risking losing the data in your C:\ as well as the D:\ and that is to go Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management, right click the D:\ in the list and click delete partition, your C:\ data should survive.

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

You can use "fdisk" to delete a partition on a harddrive. You don't say what operating system you have but I'm assuming you are using WinXP Home*??

It can be confusing on just how to access "fdisk". You can even use a Win98 boot disk to run fdisk. Do you have a WinXP CD?* You can easily format your "D" drive within Windows from My Computer and then use the space anyway you like. The best way though, IMO, is to fdisk the harddrive and delete all the partitions. Then create a new partition and format. Then load Windows fresh.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There are several 3rd party partitioning programs like the latest version of Partition Magic and Acronis that will let you combine partitions without losing data.

5. Jenuk2004

Jenuk2004 Thread Starter

Does this mean that after I have deleted the D drive that the 16GB will transfer to the C drive automatically?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

At least with Partition Magic, it would combine both partitions into one large C: drive.

All the data on the D: drive would be added to something like a D_DRIVE folder on the C: drive (forget the exact syntax but it is something like that).

In either case, you should back up as much as you can to either another drive or whatever else you have available. There is always a certain amount of risk regardless of what program you use.

7. bobol

bobol

I'd go with Partition Magic too.... considering its very easy user friendly interface. It'll easily perform partition operations like merging, resizing, labelling etc., in a couple of clicks,but the process takes a few minutes....[ hey,-still tho' ;) ]
    here's info; http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
    and you can a demo version too;
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/8/13-8-2.shtml

Doing Fdisk is finicky, and perhaps a daunting task(edit... ok, Bob C. says further on it's not nearly that bad ) for a novice[to which you colourfully compared yourself as being].... and when you format, you're starting everything afresh.

ps.I recommend you give your XP partition ['c' in your case] at least 7GB. [in light of possible XP updates you may choose to download in the future].

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

FDISK isn't much harder to use that Partition Magic. It just won't do what they need at this point which is combine the two partitions into a single large one.

If you use it right from the start, FDISK has worked fine for years.

9. Jenuk2004

Jenuk2004 Thread Starter

Cheers Bobol and others, this has been most productive!

Tell me one more thing though, using the demo version of these products, will it let me do the changes I want? or will it only let me go as far as to see what I can do if I buy it? I know they often have 30 days trial or something....

;)

Thanks heaps!!

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I don't know the answer to that question Jen but if that's a risk and according to these other chaps, there's also a data loss risk with using those programmes, I'd stick to the option I posted earlier - delete within using the Windows interface in Computer Management from Control Panel.

Let it be clear that I'm not going to argue anything connected with XP with fellows like Bobol and Bob Cerelli - XP legends on their own lunchtime - but I cannot see any more risk in using the facility already provided within XP.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice