1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dumb Question - sorry - folder formatting

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bcrenton, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcrenton

bcrenton Thread Starter

I have what has got to be the dumbest question ever. I believe myself to be computer literate, but I just can't seem to get my file folders to display in a constant format. I believe that there are some defaults set that I would really like to change.

I just want my folders, whenever opened, to display in the standard "Details" view. As I manually set each folder I create them to the "Details" view, my computer will default every time I move that folder from one location to another location on my hard drive, they default back to the "Thumbnails" view...

this is driving me mad! I am sick of manually setting these folders and hope that there is a way to set my folder preferences, as I have not figured this out on my WinXP home computer.

I am sure that there is a simple answer, and would appreciate any help anyone can give to this awfully silly question!

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Welcome to TSG ;)

Try right clicking on Start> (dang I forgot to ask what version on windows you are using :( )

3. remaja

remaja

No, it's written there
    Win Xp home

4. remaja

remaja

Or is it?
    never mind
    firstly,
    I can tell you how to do it in windows ME but not XP, if you are working with XP

Go to start- settings- control panel- folder options- click on View tab and check the box that says remember folder view settings or something like that. by doing tha, you won't get frustration
    But If you are Using Xp, I'm very sorry, I can't help you. I have never used XP before.

Secondly.
    it is best to post this on the windows 98/me or 2000/xp board you won't get much help if you post in the wrong board

5. lister

lister

It's the same in XP.
    Get one folder the way you want it; go to 'Tools - Folder Options' then

You want to uncheck ~ 'Remember each folder's view settings' in the view tab as well.
    Then 'Apply to all Folders'.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!