1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dumb RAM Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kaotic Mind, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaotic Mind

Kaotic Mind Thread Starter

I have a shuttle an 35n ultra 400 mobo and its got 4 ram slots and 2 of them are being occupied by 2 sticks of pc2700 ddr ram (333mhz) and a stick of pc3200 ddr (400mhz) was given to me by a friend. My question is can i just slap that stick of pc3200 in with the other sticks of ram and have it work fine?, like will it work and just work at 333mhz or no?

thanks.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

It should work ok . . it will clock back to 333 . . if that motherboard supports it, the third stick may keep dual channel from working. . . Try it and see.

wrs

3. batman44

batman44

iff i whos you i would not mix to different ram stiks in a pc.
    if you put fast ram in and slow ram this could make your pc get confused
    with the to different types of ram ie slow and fast ram.
    some pc motherdoards have to different ram slots so you can pic whot ram you whont to use.
    i had a pc whoat could take to ram sticks which could uses (ddr266 and pc133) so i whent with pc133 becos it wos cheaper in the long run.
    the guy i got the motherdoard off said to me never mix ram in a pc.
    you must remember some ram sticks ues different voltage like
    (pc133) uses 3.3 volts and so on..... :)

4. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

i think the memory would just slow itself down, go to pc2700 instead of pc3200. I have mixed ram and never had a problem with it. you will probably loose dual channel if you go that route however.

5. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

The AN35N Ultra only has 3 memory slots, but unless unless you try to O/C the system, you should have no problems doing this. DDR 3200 will run fine @ DDR2700 speed. As for the dual channel, if slots 1&3, 2&3, or 1-2-3 are occupied, it is enabled.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice