1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dumb Startup Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GordRocks, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

This has to be the dumbest question!!! :eek:

When my computer boots up there are two (2) instances of Windows Explorer opening and I can't figure out where they are started from. They don't show up in any of the Startup folders in the Documents and Settings. Where the heck are they? Can anyone tell me how to find the source so I can turn them off?

Thanks very much,
    .....Gord

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do 2 windows open? How do you know there are 2?

It may be normal if you have checked the box in folder options for the shell and file manager to be separate from one another.

3. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not talking about two instances of WINDOWS. I'm referring to two instances of WINDOWS EXPLORER. I can alt/tab between them so I know they are open.:p:p;)

.....Gord

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you see when you Alt-Tab? Is explorer running as shell or as a file manager? I have 3 explorer.exe running in Task Manager, for security purposes; one for the shell, one file manager, and one for the taskbar and desktop. If the file manager crashes, the desktop is unaffected.

Do you have "Launch Folder Windows In A Separate Process" chosen in Folder Options?

5. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

File Managers!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

No, I don't.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try running Autoruns. Make sure that MS entries are shown in the menu (Options). Look for startup locations for explorer.exe (use the search function).

There should be one entry under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

How do these manifest themselves? Do you have a file manager open on the desktop when you boot up?

9. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Thank you. Okay, I used Autorun and this is what showed up at the top of the list. Click to see full size.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The highlighted one is what I assume I should delete to stop it opening up when I boot up, is that right? Or do I simply uncheck it in the box on the left of that line?

.....Gord

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You didn't happen to mention the Aston shell. Which are you actually using? If you are not using explorer as shell, then the highlighted one is the one you should remove. Unchecking allows you to inactivate it without removing it so it can be restored later.

11. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Elvandil, I do apologize. I've been using Aston Shell for so long that I often forget it's even there. :eek:

I've unchecked the highlighted item and rebooted. According to Autoruns it is still unchecked but 2 instances of Windows Explorer come up as File Managers anyway. I don't have any idea what is triggering them to come up. I have made sure to close them before rebooting but they are still there again when when Windows restarts.

Thanks again for your help.
    .....Gord

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Take a look through your startups. Check especially for any that may have spaces in them since those should be in quotes and will open a folder if not. You may see some that you don't want to load, anyway. This program allows you to save the removed items so they can be restored later. Though Autoruns will also show these, they are easier to see and manipulate since this startup manager only shows the most common startup locations.

Startup Control Panel

13. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I have tried everything you've suggested, Elvandil, and a few other things as well. I still can't figure out why the File Manager is starting when I boot up. Maybe it's time to just give up? After all, I can close them after booting up. It just really ticks me off to not be able to find the reason for this.

Thanks for all your help. Any other advice will be gratefully accepted, but I understand if you consider this a waste of time. :rolleyes:

.....Gord

14. Pollex

Pollex

Try running a selective startup from your msconfig. Start - Run / Search - msconfig - <enter>
    This will bring up your System Configuration Utility.

I realize that you said you disabled some of these, but after searching the net, I think you need to check all of them, even the one's you trust.

Click on the startup tab and choose "Disable all". Apply and OK, restart is required.
    Click ok on the message when you reboot.
    Attempt your connection and check sound again.
    If it is fixed, some startup app is affecting you, and you should re-enable them a few at a time to figure out which program is the culprit.
    If not, go back into msconfig and re-check the "Normal Startup" box, under the General tab, and click ok to restart again back in normal mode.

Let us know what happens. :)

15. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Using a combination of StartUp Control Panel & Autoruns I have now turned off every single thing that I can find. There is nothing indicated in the Startup tab on the System Configuration Utility. But the File Manager keeps coming up anyway!!!!!!!!!!! This is not the least bit amusing anymore. :(
    Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for all the assistance up to this point!

.....Gord

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice