Dumbest Mistake of 2006

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joniuk

I wated to modify my permissions on multiple drives at once.

So i selected them all in my computer, and right clicked and went to properties. I then went to the security tab and windows came up with box saying "Do yu want to reset the permissions on all you're drives" and i clicked yes (big mistake) after a few minsit finished so i came out and my background has disaperred and all the icons. So basicly windows is denied access to all my drives. I though £"&%$ ermmmmm..... restart. so i did.

Windows will now not load and i am in big trouble

Any ideas appriciated. John.

Ps. Windows Xp sp2

And cant get into safe mode.

theres your problem..."WINDOWS". Anyway, the only thing i can think of is re-install windows...

you could try a dirty install, or put windows over the existing copy of windows...there is a chance that you may lose some of your files, and they may get shuffled around, but it is worth a try before reformatting...

theres your problem..."WINDOWS". Anyway, the only thing i can think of is re-install windows...
Why are you offering advice on windows problems if you answer this way. BTW this does't sound like windows it sounds like User.

Have you logged on as administrator onto the machine? If you boot to Safe mode you should be able to log on ad Administrator. Hopefully you didn't 1) delete the Administrator account or 2) remove administrator privelidges from the files you changed permissions on.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305 has a link on how to get into Administrator from safe mode only follow the - Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup - portion.

Can you do that? I thought you can only take ownership if you had permissions to the file to begin with?

If you're logged in under the root admin account, you should be able to take ownership anyway and then reset all the permisions. Another thing you can try (if you have a good partition utility) is converting the file system from NTFS to FAT32. This should remove all the file level security since FAT32 doesn't support it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online