1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dummy needs help!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by crossing75, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crossing75

crossing75 Thread Starter

I am running WinXP 512mb. I have a 40gb C drive and a 120 gb D drive. That is the way my Dell came to me.
    I have been told that when I install Software that I should put the Software on the C drive, and the files from the software on the D drive?
    Has anyone heard of this? If so, how would I do this?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could simply create a Program Files folder on your D: drive. When installers ask you where to install a program, choose that folder instead of the default one on C:. That way, a great deal of space will be saved on C:.

3. crossing75

Thank you for your answer. What I am trying to do is get more free space on my C drive.
    So If I install it on the D drive, won't everything go to the D as in...the software and files?
    I hope this makes sense to you, because I have no clue!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Installations typically involve more than files being placed in the Program Files folder. There are often other files placed in Application Data folders, Windows folders, and many other possibilities.

Installing a program to the D: drive will place the majority of the program's files (in the vast majority of cases) on the D: drive, but there will still be some files placed on C:. This is pretty much unavoidable since that is how the OS is set up.

But simply by installing to D:, you will spare space on C: and insure that it fills much more slowly.

Keep in mind that this is a somewhat permanent arrangement. You can't suddenly decide to remove the D: drive and put it in another machine without losing all the programs installed to it.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

PS. One quick way to make space is to move the My Documents folder and all its contents to a different drive. Depending on your OS and service pack level, right-clicking the folder on your desktop, Properties, will give you a button or a path box to specify where you want the My Documents folder to be located. You need to follow this route rather than just moving it so that the system registry correctly registers the location of the folder.

Other things that can easily be moved to another drive include the temporary internet files folder and the page file.

6. crossing75

Thank you for all your help! I will get right on it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice