1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dumpchk.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mopargirl, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mopargirl

mopargirl Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 running Win2K. Recently I have been getting a lot of system crashes; ie "the blue screen". After going to microsoft's website, and based upon a previous post recommending it, I went to download dumpchk.exe. I found the download as part of a pack of System Tools from Service Pack 3. It downloaded with no problem that I can see. However, when I try to run the application, I get a brief "flash" of the black command prompt screen, but nothing actually happens.

I do not consider myself very"fluent" in computer, and was hoping someone might be able to tell me what the problem with the dumpchk.exe application might be, or what my next step should be.

thank you so much ahead of time for any help.

mopargirl :)

2. lyrical

lyrical

Welcome to TSG!

One thing that I would recommend is running Norton System Check or Norton Win Doctor. If you have them, they do a fairly good job of identifying problems with windows and fixing them.

Norton is not the best software on the market for this, but it is one of the most used and most common.

Another thing that you may want to consider is the last time you have defraged your machine. A fragmented drive can cause many problems, such as slow running programs, long access times, and the infimous "blue screen" stutter.

Just a few thing for you to think about..

~ Lyrical ~

3. ddraigcoch

ddraigcoch

4. mopargirl

mopargirl Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome and the replies!

I have read through many of the MS articles regarding dumpchk, including the one mentioned. My problems unfortunately starts before that point as I am unable to even open the application.

I do not have either of the Norton products listed below; however, I will try the Norton website, perhaps they have trial versions.

I defragemented a week ago.

Either way, it looks like I will have to find a different route to discover the source of my stop errors. I was mainly curious as to why I couldn't open the dumpchk application.

Thank you again for your help, past and future.

mopargirl :)

5. ddraigcoch

ddraigcoch

Maybe do some clearing out & some clean boot troubleshooting disabling programs from running at start up. You'll need to use a third party start up app such as Start Man from http://www.forrestandassociates.co.uk/pcforrest/index.html, unless you have MSCONFIG.

Is there a specific recurrence of the same message? If so, then let us know the exact error message & we may be able to help further eliminating the culprit.

6. mopargirl

mopargirl Thread Starter

Did some housecleaning. Downloaded Start Man as suggested. Great program, since I had been wondering about the Win2K alternative to MSCONFIG. However, there was but one item not necessary, though not harmful, in my startup.

Retrieved the most recent stop errors:

0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0xbaa8fc26, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

0x00000023 (0x000e00c8, 0xb7feffdc, 0xb7fefc34, 0xbff0e11f)

0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0xbaa8fc26, 0x00000000, 0x00650074)

0x00000050 (0xe2a36580, 0x00000001, 0xbzz9007f, 0x00000001)

Thank you all again for any help you can offer.

mopar girl :p

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!