1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dumping AOL, want to keep the emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DudleyDoRite, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Finally got my dad to dump AOL, I'm trying to import his emails/attachments into another email client. Any idea how I would do that? Where does AOL save the email stuff on the HD? I normally can navigate ok on a puter, but AOL really makes me hurl.

DDR

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi DudleyDoRite

If your dad was accessing his AOL messages at AOL's site, the messages are not on his harddrive.

Outlook Express version 6 can be configured with an IMAP account to poll his messages, they are still on the server at that time.

Then the messages would need to be Copied or Moved from the AOL folder in Outlook Express to a folder under the Local Folders in Outlook Express.
    It is simple really :) , the problem, I do not have the instructions for the server numbers. :(

You can access that information within AOL's browser, search for "Outlook Express", "Outlook Express account setup" etc.

Let us know if that works or not.

3. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite Thread Starter

okie, thanks for the reply, I'll give that a shot. I'll post back after to report how I did.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice