1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dumprep 0 -k

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kyran64, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyran64

kyran64 Thread Starter

In another thread, user Eviscero asked what exactly
    %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    is.
    I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread for the topic so that anyone else requesting information can easily find it or so that anyone who can provide more information than I can may offer input as well.

In answer to their question:

dumprep 0 -k is used in connection with memory dumps that are sent as a report to MS as part of their Error Reporting system, which, in my experience, actually causes more errors and browser crashes when you keep it activate (not to mention annoys like no tomorrow. It's the little window that says "Error, report to Big Brother? er...Microsoft?")
    You can turn it off by opening the system icon in the control panel, choosing the ADVANCED tab, and then disabling error reporting from there.

2. Quincyrocks

Quincyrocks

This was a great help to me - I clicked 'no' when asked if I wanted to report to Microsoft after the system recovered from a serious error, and Spybot S&D detected that this system startup global entry value "kernelfaultcheck - %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k" had been deleted and asked if I wanted to allow it.

Now I'll disable the error reporting as you have described - thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice