1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DUN Broken

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mwda, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwda

mwda Thread Starter

I have a bad problem. We where logging on to our ISP fine for a long time then they went to a new server requiring a new username. At first it seemed that we where not set up correctly. We would log on and DUN would report that it checked the username and password and then we would get what seemed like a connect, that is we would see the two computers in the lower right had corner of our desktop but when we tried to use email or surf the web we would only get "Server could not be found". The connect rate as reported by DUN was good (48000). We have tried everything. We went to a new ISP. We installed a new modem. We reinstall DUN according to the info posted at the MS web site. We talked to two Tech supports (our old ISP and our new ISP) and USRobotics Tech Support. Our last communication with the new ISP, the Tech support said that DUN was broken and the only way to fix it was to reinstall "Windows" on a newly formatted HD. I find this hard to accept. We did try to reinstall "Windows" starting the installation from with in Windows with no luck. Does any one know about this problem? Does any one have any Ideas on how this could happen? The tech support said that DUN would brake after so many years.

Any help would be appreciated
    Marshall

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What version of Windows are you using?

Have you tried reinstalling Windows over itself? Make sure that it reinstalls in C:\WINDOWS and not anywhere else.

3. mwda

mwda Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your response

We are using Win98SE. Yes as I said we tried reinstalling with Windows up and running but it did not solve the problem, though we where able to get a reinstall.

Any help would be appreciated
    Marshall

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A Windows 98SE reinstall should have reinstalled Dial-Up Networking. Double-click MY COMPUTER and see if a Dial-Up Networking folder is present there. If not, open the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM window, then click the WINDOWS SETUP tab. Check the list of programs in there and see if Dial-Up Networking is checked. If it is not checked, check it, then allow it to be installed. Insert the Windows 98SE CD when prompted to so the installation can complete.

You might also want to download and install the Dial-Up Networking 1.4 upgrade. You can get it from here. Make sure to select the link for Windows 98SE.

5. mwda

mwda Thread Starter

I wish to thank all those that helped. We did get the problem solved though we may still have some problems due to our efforts to reinstall Windows.

The solution might be of interest to some.

I went to
    http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modbrok3.html

to find out how to do
    Ping 127.0.0.1
    that told us
    "Transmit Failed, Error Code 10091"

Which after a search with Google for the error code we found this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=302861
    An MS page with the interesting title of
    "Cannot Connect With ISP, Ping Returns Error 10091"

Once we followed the instructions on this web page and reinstalled DUN we where able to connect.
    Note:
    The reinstall of DUN was not the long one but the short one that is just deselecting it in "Windows Setup" and then rebooting then reselecting it. The reinstall of DUN created all the programs in "Networks" that we use namely "Microsoft Family log on", "Dial up Adapter" and "TCP/IP".

I know their are a lot of people who reinstalled Windows to solve this problem as was suggested by the Tech support we talked to. I am sure that this MS page could solve a lot more problems then just "Error 10091". I do not understand why a reinstall of DUN as Microsoft describes it does not include the steps described on the above MS page.

Again thank your for your help
    Marshall

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear you got the problem solved. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice