DUN over broadband

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lurn

Is there a way to dialup over broadband without having the modem connected to a phone line?

I remember at the start of the broadband age there was something along this line to connect to the earthlink network for the newsgroups because you had to be connected to earthlink to access them. The app dialed up over the broadband connection, which of course put you on the earthlink network so you had dialup speed but you didn't need a modem attached to a phone line.

Sometimes I have clients that require me to dialup to connect to their network. I normally work around it by making them set something up such as logmein. This normally takes longer to fix the problem because lack on support on their side.

Anyways if anyone knows any applications or services that would work over broadband with no phoneline please let me know.

lurn

JohnWill said:
Sure, just use a VoIP phone service like Vonage. :)
I was thinking using skype or as you suggested vonage, hopefully a free solution but will look at any possible way. Was hoping for a bit more information, hopefully someone has done this before and can give some incite. I have been unable to find any info via google but maybe I searching incorrectly.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've used dial-up connections using Vonage, it's a useful way to test servers here. I dial out to my backup dial ISP using VoIP, and I can appear as an external user on the Internet to the system under test. :)

lurn

Didn't you use a phone line still? From your vonage phone to the modem? I want to be able to dialup when I do not have access to a phone line but am connected to internet on a LAN or wireless connection.

I know it's possible without a phone line but not sure how. Has anyone done it this way?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, AFAIK, it's not really possible. It's theoritically possible to have a VoIP process within your machine and connect to a VoIP service that way, but I've never seen or heard of it actually being done. You have to get to the switched telephone network at some point, since you're trying to connect with a dial modem at the other end.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online