1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dungeon siege

Discussion in 'Games' started by cougar_1, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cougar_1

cougar_1 Thread Starter

I want to tweak DS as much as possible. My hardware is top of the line. Any suggestions?

2. McTimson

McTimson

Do everything in this thread.

What exactly are you trying to do, make it go faster?

3. cougar_1

cougar_1 Thread Starter

Yes, I would like to improve speed and graphics. I think its strange how occassionally I get slower frame rates ~10-30 fps, is this normal.

I have:
    3 gig processer
    ati 9800 pro 128mb
    gig of ram

4. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

Im stunned. I get much higher frame rates, and I have a 9700 Pro, and nforce2 400 @ 2.2 Ghz. Use omera 3.6 drivers. Try uninstalling your drivers w/driver cleaner, then reinstall Omega 3.6 cats.

5. cougar_1

cougar_1 Thread Starter

these slower frames come during intense scenes with max number of characters. My average fps durning a calm scene is 60. this is with v-sync turned off. Is this flux in frames typical of this game or is it supposed to be constant?

I have cat 3.7 and rage3d tweak 3.9

6. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

DS is demanding. However sounds like you know what your doing. You have 1g of ram. check your chipset drivers - alot of things 'might" be the problem, for instance, if you reinstall cat 3.7 regular ATI over omega 3.4, and don't remove them properly. Some INF remain. You need to use driver cleaner. It "can" corrupt the install. I f3 in the regisry, and use driver cleaner for vid cards. Mobo chipset drivers sometimes "need" a very paticular install order in certain cases, or it will very much interrupt the AGP/PCI bus performance. This applies to VIA, and nforce2 chipsets mostly. It has to do with the ordr of install for XP SP1, DX9, Vid drivers. Also certain VIA boards in paticular have issues when running creative cards along with ATI cards (yes they can conflict). This is the failure to update the bios (A7V8X - VIA Asus for instance - or Biostar M7VIT) - and needing to also update to VIA 4 in 1 4.48/4.49 drivers to solve the 4x-8x AGP issue. Then there is the install order issue, and of course nforce2 - to lenghty to go into here. nforcers HQ is a good place to go for nforce2, and Via Arena is a good place to go for VIA chipsets. Good Luck. Intel mobos on the other hand have less issues.

7. cougar_1

cougar_1 Thread Starter

Tell me more of this "driver cleaner."

8. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

Get it here. I got the info on it a long time ago when radeon 9700 Pro first came out - people at rage3d.com told me about it. It's very good, especially if you go from NVIDA to ATI, or ATI to NVIDA, all you do is run it, when you see the app open. it's self explanitory - roots out almost all registry entries, and base ATI folder. Get it here (free).

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

9. vesselle

vesselle

i REALLY recommend uninstalling the Cat 3.7's... i've seen for myself how inconsistent these drivers are. not to mention the complaints from so many users on the boards. :(

personally, i'm switching between 2 versions for my gaming and swear by it. i use the 3.2's and the 3.6's. they are rock solid stable and i run all my games maxxed out. :) i love my bells and whistles. i play DS regularly and run it with everything turned up loud! ;) by that i mean, AA at 6X, AF at 16X and TruForm on for the games that use it.

i have a good system, too and use an AIW 9700 Pro BBA. i also have a thermaltake fan installed , so that it runs very cool. i also have 4 case fans. i think proper cooling is VERY important for the high end cards especially when you demand a lot of them.

V***V

10. cougar_1

cougar_1 Thread Starter

how do u run DS with all these features (ex. antiaisling and high resolution) when the game only reaches 1024x768x32. Is this done with rage3d tweak?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!