Duplicate domain name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zeke

I have NT4.0 that I would like to use as the server for the other three pc's I have but I am having a problem setting it up. Here is my problem. I have cable dsl with a static ip address and I can get on the net fine but when I install the second nic card the dns configuration host & domain name automatically appears on the second nic card and if I delete I also delete it also deletes it on the first nic card. A no win situation and of urse I am talking about the information from the first nic card appearing on the second automatically. I have posted this before but I didn't get any answers that solved my problem but I could really use some help here I would really appreciate it. I would like to use NT 4.0 for once as a server and networked. Something I have never done.

Thanks

Zeke

You cannot set the second NIC on the same computer to be on another DOMAIN. The static IP addresses are set by your ISP and if they have not given you enough addresses to support the second NIC you need to get another one. The DNS server should eb the same for both NIC's and should stay that way if you want the name server to resolve names. You need to use the NIC connected to DSL as the default gateway to get it to work. Again, make sure you have enough IP addresses for your network and the second NIC.

zeke

I don't understand this. If my memory serves me right, last year I was able to use my nt4.0 as a client machine on my home network with one ip address. Although I was using phone dsl and I used win98 as the server I don't recall having this problem with nt. And why would this be a problem when the second nic card is for my internal pc's? So why would I use the same domain name for both internal and external network? The duplicate domain name doesn't appear when I use win98 as the server.

So if you are correct and I do need another ip address how will that solve my problem? The domain name will be the same but I still need to have an internal network and will need to set the second nic card with that much needed internal domain name. No? By the way I use wingate for my internal network.

Zeeke

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online