1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duplicate Entries in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mbotoole, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbotoole

mbotoole Thread Starter

I just finished an install of Windows XP on a new PC I just built. I have an Asus motherboard and video card, and I installed the drivers on the cds that came with each. I have an Intel P4 3.2 ghz processor, and everything seems to be working properly. However, there are some duplicate entries in the Device Manager. Under Processors, it has my CPU listed twice, and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, the following are all listed twice : Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controllers, Primary IDE Channel, Secondary IDE Channel. I tried to uninstall one of each, but it they didn't go away. It doesn't appear to be hurting anything, just a little bit of an annoyance. Thanks for any help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since no one else seems to be taking a stab at this one....

Have you tried deleting both entries and rebooting to see if only one reappears?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The CPU is a Hyperthreading one, so the dual entry would be normal. It is "two CPU's" in the nature of one physical, but two logical processors.

Not sure if that is responsible for the dual IDE entries, but it's possible.

4. mbotoole

mbotoole Thread Starter

Nope, i've just tried deleting one. I thought about deleting both, but thought that may cause problems. I suppose I will just leave it as is since nothing really seems to be functioning wrong.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You will have to do as Elvandil suggests to get rid of them. They will be rebuild when you boot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice