Duplicate entries in msconfig

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

I have wanted to ask this for a long time. Several of the entries in my Startup tab in the Sys. Config. Utility (get there by running msconfig) are duplicates, occasionally triplicates. The longer I go without reformatting my HD and reinstalling Win 98SE, the more duplicates I get (over a year or two). Where are these stored; that is, where can I go to get edit the file that holds these and get rid of the duplicates?

Bryan

Bryan
<a href=http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23243&highlight=msconfig+load%3D> This</a> should help.

Let us know what happens.

This will also work sometimes to remove some duplicates.
Go to msconfig>startup
and check both entries. Apply.
When the msgbox appears choose NO to restart. Go back into Msconfig and you'll see only one entry now.

DKTaber

Originally posted by Bryan
<a href=http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23243&highlight=msconfig+load%3D> This</a> should help.

Let us know what happens.
It did, it did (help). I deleted some of the items from the Run- and Run Services- keys, and sure enough, they're gone. Appears to also have solved a problem I was having with power management. Within the last week or so, the computer started NOT waking up after being in standby overnight, or after long inactivity during the day. Came to the office today, moved the mouse, and voila!, it came alive.

I don't know why MS never cleans up crap like this. Version after version, the same problems remain. They told us Win 98 was more stable than Win 95. Wrong; crashes just a much. Now they tell us XP is more stable. Yeah, right!

DKTaber

Originally posted by Mosaic1
This will also work sometimes to remove some duplicates.
Go to msconfig>startup
and check both entries. Apply.
When the msgbox appears choose NO to restart. Go back into Msconfig and you'll see only one entry now.
Did not work. Did as you said, clicking "no" for restart, went back, and the same duplicates were still there. Rebooted. Duplicates still there.

Only way I've found to positively get rid of them is to edit the Registry (which I did), and they're gone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online