1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duplicate files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by williamjb, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. williamjb

williamjb Thread Starter

hi...running windows XP......twice i have had to reinstall everything due to reasons i won't go into (sad and lengthy story).......is there anyway to eliminate duplicate files? i know i have to have a ton of them having reinstalled everything.
    i would prefer not to use Norton......have had nothing but bad experiences with them.
    is there any kind of system built in to XP i could run to try and locate and eliminate these files?
    thanks in advance for any help.

bill

2. bbearren

bbearren

If you install over an existing installation, the old files are over-written, not duplicated. If you do a repair/reinstall, the old files are over-written, not duplicated.

Also, there are numerous duplicate files that are there on purpose, and you shouldn't delete them.

I don't like Norton, either (along with lots of other folks), nor McAfee. Many here recommend cccleaner for cleaning out unnecessary files (but don't use the registry cleaner, it (along with all other registry cleaners) is useless and quite possibly dangerous.

3. williamjb

williamjb Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. i thought that the files overwrote themselves, but for whatever reason, i have gotten a case of the "slows" lately, i had thought that may be the reason. i have quite of bit of "nonsense" type files that i am afraid to delete and can't figure out what they are. so i was thinking the "duplicate" stuff might be the cause......not so lucky though, eh?
    thanks for your time and advice.....it is appreciated.
    bill

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have 2 Windows directories with different names and same content? Do you get 2 choices on the boot menu?

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Another good program for removing "unnecessary" files is "EasyCleaner." Check the first three or four items in the menu. Do not use the 'Registry" and "Duplicates" modes.

6. williamjb

williamjb Thread Starter

el....no, i do not have two directories......when i go to my "folders" section i have a ton of nonsensical type listings that i have no idea what they are....they were not there prior to my having to reinstall the system.....this is what made me think there were possible duplications. when i try and open these, i get nothing....sometimes i get "cannot open file" or "forbidden file".
    redoak....nice to know there is another "youngster" here. i'm about to hit sixty......slowly learning the ropes about computers.
    thank you all for your time and advice.
    bill
    new orleans

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!