Duplicate Flash Drive Listed in My Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CluelessInSeattl

Will
I have 7 flash drives plugged into a USB hub. I use them mostly for back-up storage of my system, music and picture files.

I was annoyed by the way XP assigned drive letters to the flash drives under My Computer in Windows Explorer. The flash drives were all mixed up. I wanted to re-order them so that the music flash drives would all be grouped together, and the same for the picture flash drives.

I found a web site with instructions for changing the drive letter assignments, but I'll be danged if I can find that same page now. What I did was go to Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. And then by right clicking on each of the drives, I used the "Change Drive and Letter Paths..." option to assign a new drive letter to some of the flash drives, to try to get them to display in logical order.

This process worked -- up to a point -- but I ended up with a duplicate drive. Here's a screen shot of what I ended up with:

Look at drive letters H: & N: As you can see, they have identical drive names, but drive N: has no sub-directories. Not only that, but Windows tells me that that drive doesn't exist. It seems to be some kind of phantom entry.

So, how do delete it? I've tried shuting down and rebooting. But drive N: is still squatting there in Windows Explorer, giving me the raspberry. I've tried disconnecting drive N: which seemed to work. But as I continued to change the drive letters, I ran into more problems, with another duplicate phantom drive and mislabeled drives, e.g. a system back up drive labeled a picture back up drive and so on.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just shut down the computer, remove all the flash drives while the computer is turned off, and then turn the computer back on and re-insert them into the USB hub one-by-one.

Would that get them display in Windows Explorer in the same order that I plug them into the USB hub?

Triple6

Rob
According to your screenshot N, along with L and M, are network mapped drives to a computer called Inspiron1100. You cannot have a network drive and local drive share the same drive letter. You will need to move the local USB drive to another drive letter using Computer Managment or Disconnect and re-mapped the shared folder to another drive letter. To disconnect a mapped drive, right click on it in Computer and choose disconnect. You may also need to reboot the computer if you tried to assign N to two different resources so that Windows releases the drive letter.

CluelessInSeattl

Will
Thanks, Rob. It's great to have help from someone who understands how Windows XP assigns drive letters. I'm afraid I don't have a clue about it. Perhaps you could refer me to an article written for folks lacking computer training.

I think I probably should have mentioned in my original post that I have three old hand-me-down computers connected together on a Windows network. And whenever I use the network to access a drive on one of the other computers, it seems that Windows creates a "drive" entry in Windows Explorer on the compute I'm working from, representing the drive on the other computer. So I've ended up with a long strings of "drive" entries in Windows Explorer that I didn't intentionally create, and have no idea how they got there. It's really confusing for an old guy like me who is struggling with worsening cognitive impairment from multiple chronic illnesses.

Thanks for that tipoff about the mapped drives. I now see that they have that "plumbing" like symbol below the drive symbol that I assume means that they are (or were at one time) mapped drives. (Did I mention that my eyesight is failing too?). So it looks like these are entries for mapped drives leftover from when I had my USB hub plugged into my laptop last year, but now I have it plugged into one of my PCs.

So I'll try your suggestion of disconnecting the mapped drives (which no longer exist) and then rebooting.

I also should probably have mentioned that I was trying to perform this flash drive letter housekeeping operation via Windows Remote Desktop, from my laptop. (I have difficulty sitting up at my PC for more than a few minutes at a time these days, so I usually do work on the PC from my laptop in bed via Windows Remote Desktop.

Thanks again for the prompt and helpful reply. I'll post back here to let you know how I make out.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

P.S. Is there an easy way to delete all my mapped drives in one fell swoop, and thus clear out all those old entries in Windows Explorer?

Triple6

Rob
To delete all network drives go to a command prompt and type and press Enter : net use * /d

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts