Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duplicate IP problem in LAN

875 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Hello.

We are experiencing a problem in our LAN.

Yesterday, suddently, all the PCs on the LAN reported a duplicate IP problem. This was happening everytime a client PC was trying to logon to the network. A dialog box was displayed that notified the user that the PC's IP was used by another PC.

The problem was affecting all PCs thus I thought that it might be a network switch problem.

I switched off the main switch for 2 minutes and then I switched it on, again. This solved the problem but after 4 hours the problem occured again and we had to switch it off and on again.

Today, we did not experience the problem but I would like to ask if someone knows the root cause of such incidents.

Is it the switch, or PC network card?

Also, are there any equipment (hardware / software) tools that I can use in order to determine the root cause of the problem?

Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
do you have a DNS server on your network to resolve user names to IP allocation.

We had the same problem in a local office where after 20 people had logged on we started get those errors - it turned out to be two servers with overlapping IP address ranges causing the problem - this went on a few days and 1 person was even told to reload there software by the helpdesk!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.