Duplicate IP problem in LAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stergios

Hello.

We are experiencing a problem in our LAN.

Yesterday, suddently, all the PCs on the LAN reported a duplicate IP problem. This was happening everytime a client PC was trying to logon to the network. A dialog box was displayed that notified the user that the PC's IP was used by another PC.

The problem was affecting all PCs thus I thought that it might be a network switch problem.

I switched off the main switch for 2 minutes and then I switched it on, again. This solved the problem but after 4 hours the problem occured again and we had to switch it off and on again.

Today, we did not experience the problem but I would like to ask if someone knows the root cause of such incidents.

Is it the switch, or PC network card?

Also, are there any equipment (hardware / software) tools that I can use in order to determine the root cause of the problem?

Thank you in advance.

etaf

Wayne
do you have a DNS server on your network to resolve user names to IP allocation.

We had the same problem in a local office where after 20 people had logged on we started get those errors - it turned out to be two servers with overlapping IP address ranges causing the problem - this went on a few days and 1 person was even told to reload there software by the helpdesk!!!!!

I think etaf means DHCP server.

2 DHCP servers on the same lan can easily cause this type of problem. Check your servers/routers to see what has DHCP enabled.

etaf

Wayne
opppsss yep - just answering a question about DNS sorry

exactly what a meant - thanks for the correction

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online