1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duplicate IP via DHCP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by inthecloset, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inthecloset

inthecloset Thread Starter

MS Server 2003, dozens of XP desktops. IPs handed out via DHCP. This week, two stations lost network and internet connectivity. It turned out they each have the same IP, though both are set for DHCP. I first tried ipconfig /release & then /renew, but each picked up the same IP.

On the server, one was listed as owner of the IP. I released the IP on each, powered off each desktop & deleted the IP assignment on the server. So under DHCP, there was no assignment of this IP. I rebooted the server. I powered up one desktop and logged on. It picked up the same IP (which happens to be the first available one). It had connectivity. I powered up the 2nd, and it picked up the same IP. At that point, neither had connectivity.

These are each desktops that have been on the network for a long time and, coincidentally, they're identical models (AcerPower FH with Marvell Yukon adapters). I'm considering just making one static, but I'm bothered by my inability to resolve this. I've googled it without luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

First thing that comes to mind, do the two systems happen to have the same MAC address?
    This will be shown on the Physical Address line after running ipconfig /all.

Not something you'd expect to change on it's own, but possible. Or possibly somebody has been spoofing MAC addresses for some reason.

3. inthecloset

inthecloset Thread Starter

Sorry for not replying, I haven't had a chance to get back to that computer. I'll post when I look into your ideas. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice