duplicate messages in outlook express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FrankB

I have win 95 using outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711 and outlook express 5.5 with Internet explorer 5.50. I have a pop3 account and a hotmail account. I get two copies of every message and attachment downloaded each time. If I leave mail and go back in and receive mail again Hotmail deletes one of every duplicate. Does anyone know what option I have set incorrectly that causes this?

Thank you

Go to Hotmail on the internet, not inside OE. Click Options.
Choose Pop mail retrieval Settings Fill in the information for your POP account. Be sure, "leave messages on server" is not checked. Check " Download New Messages only"

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click OK.

FrankB

I am not getting duplicates of the pop3 mail in the hotmail. I am getting duplicates of the hotmail messages in the hotmail in outlook express. I did go to hotmail on the web and removed my pop3 info since I am getting them directly via express. I don't know if that will make a difference. Any other thoughts?
Thank you for any help.

I would delete your Hotmail Account in Outlook Express, reboot, and reinstall the Account. It's pretty easy to do using the Tools menu option.

Hotmail using OE is not a POP but rather an HTTP type mail account. Hotmail's program is a BETA and is not supported very well by MicroSoft. It is buggy and one of the things, no matter what the settings, is it will download double messages into OE. It's one of the problems with Hotmail. If you want a POP3 type account that works well in OE, then Yahoo offers one for FREE. I gave up on Hotmail using OE over a year ago because of the double download of each message.

I have to disagree. Outlook Express is not beta and it normally works very well with Hotmail. Make sure you have SP2 installed for Internet Explorer 5.5.

This is a Hotmail problem and there is not a setting you can change to fix it. MSN may get around to fixing it, but i've had the problem with three Hotmail accounts for at least a year maybe longer. I just deal with it as it's a free account.

Thanks mhughes for your insight. I have not heard it was a common problem. I and many others I know have been using it for years and we never have experienced the problem. The 5.5 version added the ads when accessing Hotmail folders, which I was not happy with. But has you suggested it's free, oh well.

FrankB

Thank you for all the posts. I guess it actually is a bug. Dan O here is a great fix to get rid of your adds on express. I've used it for quite a while. It's free. Here is the link. http://www.collakesoftware.com/
Outlook express add killer.
Let me know if you start getting duplicate messages after you load it. Just kidding it works great.

By the way I'm not looking for a pop account, I have one in addition to the hotmail account.

I have been getting duplicate messages also in Outlook Express and I do not have a hotmail account. I am on a local ISP and just tonight I got 3 different messages duplicated. What could be causing this?

OS W98SE
IE 5.5sp2

Dan O, OE is not beta and I never said it was. It's the software Hotmail uses to transfer mail from their servers via HTTP to OE. I don't think you can use it with Netscape's Communicator program. This is a problem with Hotmail (duplicate messages) and you can e-mail their support (if you can find them) and they will tell you that since this is an ongoing Beta software, you have to live with the problems. MSN says and has said that they will get around to fixing it.....maybe

Thanks FrankB and Emtronics,

I learn something new almost every day from other on this forum, it's great. It is how this forum suppose to work, helpping one another.

Thank you.

No problem Dan O I just want to make sure you didn't think it was my first Christmas. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online