1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duplicate Name on Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sadileet, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sadileet

sadileet Thread Starter

I have been using a wireless computer at work. Recently we discovered that it was against corporate policy to use wireless computers at work because someone outside might hack into our records etc. I then plugged into the company network the normal way. Soon afterward I started seeing a message "Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network."

Can anyone explain this to me? Will this cause me any problems? Do I need to change any settings? Most importantly, can someone else see what I am doing on my computer?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sadileet

2. valis

valis Moderator

doubtful that anyone will be able to see into your machine. However, both of the machines may quit seeing the network; your IT department should be able to pin down what other machine has that name. Unless you are in the IT department, I would really recommend not monkeying with anything.

v

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is at least one other computer that has the same name as yours.

You can either change your computer's name or the name of the other one.

4. O111111O

O111111O

What I want to know is: Did anybody make any attempt to disconnect the wireless access points? Or did you simply stop using them?

[If they're still connected, other people can still use them.]

5. rolandk10

rolandk10

That's what i was wondering (what 01111110 said). Did you install your own AP or was it already part of you infrastructure?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Where was it mentioned that there was a wireless access point. Only saw that even using wireless was against company policy.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!