Duplicate OS Windows XP up, can't boot - loops!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bing49

Apparently my son started an OS reinstall and walked away or blanked out - as a result there are 2 OS systems(Windows XP Home) resident and we can't reboot - getting variants of "insufficient memory to complete task" messages and is in constant loop - 2 Window initial screens follow each other and message pops up that remaing disk space is 254 MB...

Putting in installation disk (or any other) does not bypass problem. Hard drive itself, is not the problem, went to reinstall because couldn't unload some very agressive adware. ;) What to do???? thanks, Tony

bing49

temporarily yes, safe mode as in safwe mode words printed in all 4 corners of the screen - then caput due to insufficient mem

how much time does it take before that error comes up

even if your in safemode, there still extra files that can still open in your startup

if you have enough time, try this.

(you will have to work fast)

click on start

click on run

type in msconfig

press enter

click on selective startup

uncheck the box that says load startup items

apply and restart

bing49

sorry, I can't get to a working SAFE MODE w/prompt level... within a nanosecond it reverts back to asking me to choose between the two identical WIN XP installations and away we go looping

I was hoping there was a way to wipe the hard disk clean and reattemp installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online