Duplicate shortcuts on desktop ... can't delete

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davidgadd

Running Windows XP Pro on several computers here. Only *one* of them has this problem:

Everytime I create a desktop icon, the computer adds a second identical icon on the desktop. The second icon can't be deleted. When I try to delete it, I get the error message "Cannot read from the source file or disk."

What gives? Any help appreciated. Thanx.

I'm wondering if a simple scan disk won't fix the problem. ScanDisk checks your hard drive for errors and then fixes them.

davidgadd

Tried that already.... also tried running Norton AntiVirus. Both scans came up clean...

S

Slithy Tove

In XP you actually have several desktops - one for each user account defined to the machine. Just for the helluvit use Explorer to check the desktop folder under each user (under "Documents and Settings"). See if making "manual" changes to these folders makes any difference. You should be logged on to an account with administrator privileges.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online