1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duplicate system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Totalrod2, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

I know I'm probably touching on a shady area, but here's the deal. My father and I both have Windows XP SP2. And we both have our own license keys and our own installation disks. So there's nothing illegal going on. However, a few weeks ago I had to reinstall Windows on his computer and because we keep both of our disks in the same rolodex, I had no way of knowing who's was who's. Actually, I wasn't even sure until after the fact that it made a difference. But apparently I used my disk and NOT his for the reinstall. Now everytime I turn on my own computer a bubble pops up on the taskbar saying "System Error: a duplicate is in use". My question is this; is there any way of getting rid of that error message without having to reinstall Xp on my father's computer again?
    Bryan

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

I changed the "ODBETimer" binary value found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
    I then tried to reactivate Windows by typing the command:
    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /a
    When the Product Activation Wizard launched, it said Windows is already activated. Hmm. Did I mention his computer has a valid key? Here's exactly what the error message reads each time we turn on our PC's: "A Duplicate Name Exists In The Same Network". What next?
    Bryan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice