Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

{Duplicate Thread} - HELP WITH PROBLEM DEALING WITH HUBS AND PATCH PANEL

578 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jonesy 
#1 ·
Anybody with information about this topic please help!
Here is the situation. There are two rooms. Each has a patch which is connected to a patch panel in the "server room." I connected a router to a hub. The patch panel has RJ45 cables (one for each corresponding room) connecting to the hub.

Situation 1: Computer is connected to patch--> patch is connected to hub --> hub is connected to router --> NO LINK.

Situation 2: Computer is connected to switch--> switch connected to patch --> hub is connected to router --> THERE IS A CONNECTION.

Difference in the two situation. A "SWITCH" is between the computer and the patch. However, it doesn't make sense for the switch to be between the computer and patch to make the link work. I thought the patch panel acts like an extension.

Can anybody explain this to me and help me out.

------------------
Nuts and Bolts Man
nutsandbolts@techie.com

See less See more
#2 ·
In situation two, are you saying that the patch is NOT connected to the hub? I'm a little puzzled on the configuration, but...

The patch panel does act as an extension. I might need a little more info on your hub and switch, but it sounds to me like you are having a conflict on speed. For example, trying to plug a 10Mbps NIC staight into a 100Mbps hub as in situation one. An auto-sensing switch, such as the one described in situation two, will take care of this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.