1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Duplicate user exists...."

Discussion in 'Networking' started by otoe1, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. otoe1

otoe1 Thread Starter

4 XP Pro puters on home network:
    (A) my puter: 1a, wives puter: 2a, both connected to router.
    (B) sons puter: 1b, daughters puter: 2b, both connected to a hub which is connected to the router.

Within the past month, my daughter's puter will post, now and then, an error message, "Duplicate user already exists on network", after initial bootup and at the log on screen, before logging onto the puter. She would then click 'ok' and log onto her puter with no problem's.

Yesterday, my wive's puter displayed the same message on her puter.

All puter's have all sharing disabled, no mapped drives, XP firewall inabled as well as ZA Firewall basic installed and enabled. All have the same user group name: WORKGROUP.
    We jus share the router for our internet connection (no internet connection sharing).

Where do I start to find the location and cause for this error message??

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have manually assigned IP addresses on some of the computers?

3. otoe1

otoe1 Thread Starter

None have been set up as such, as far as manually assigned IP addresses.

They are set for auto detect lan settings.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like you have two computers with the same name, I'd check that.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Are you sure it duplicate user and not duplicate name?

Can you check your computer name for all 4 PC's each should be unique if not then change them all to be unique (though if 3 PC's have this issue all 3 PC's have the same machine names and I'm not sure why that would be setup) check this by right clicking on your My Computer icon and then clicking on properties. Within there go to Computer Name your looking for full computer name not computer decirption.

If you are on on workgroup and your not getting Duplicate name but are getting duplicate user could it be that your all using the same username when logging in? Its sounding as such. My thoughts would be to make each user name unique. To do this go to control panel user accounts and change the working username that you log on with. Another thought is since your not sharing anything across any of the PC's you can change the workgroups of all 4 computers to be unique.

BTW I always advise not to use the default Workgroup as your home workgroup. Just because its default and thats what others wanting to be mischevious would look for.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since you are getting this error message before anyone has logged onto the computer, it seems unlikely that it is a duplicate user name. Also, you can easily have the same user logging in on multiple machines at the same time and not get this error.

So as other's have suggested, make sure each computer's name is different. One easy way is just to give them the same name as each person.

Also, since you are behind a router, you are reasonably well protected against anyone trying to hack into any default workgroup name. I mean who would want to spend all that time.

7. otoe1

otoe1 Thread Starter

Each puter has it's own user name, puter name, pass word as well as an admin pass word, in case I need to make n e changes. Each puter had been built within the past 3 to 10 months.

I'll make note of the actual message "user' or 'name'

Thanx.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since the error message appears to come up before any user is logged on, it is likely not anything to do with user names. You can easily have duplicate user names on the network anyway. I have several sites where for a variety of reasons, all the computers use the same user name.

So please note the exact error message and change the computer name to whatever you like. I generally recommend something that will make sense to you and the others in your house.

9. otoe1

otoe1 Thread Starter

Went through each individual puter, each user name and puter name are different.

I went ahead and changed each user name and puter name to something different than the original naming scheme.

Since the error message was spuradic, I will wait to see if this will occur again.

Thankx for you help, which is greatly appreciated.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As previously requested, can you please post the exact error message that is coming up before a user logs on.

The other duplicate that can happen is a duplicate IP address.

But again, please post the exact error message.

11. otoe1

otoe1 Thread Starter

I wil do that, Bob the next time it occures.

In the meantime, i'll check on the duplicate IP address's.

thanx

12. otoe1

otoe1 Thread Starter

Jus checked the IP address's. All are different: xxx.xxx.8.15-16-17-18. All set for DHCP, all same gateway and same subnet.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, what is the exact error message you are getting before a user is logging in?

14. otoe1

otoe1 Thread Starter

"Duplicate name already exists on the network"

My daughter wrote it down.

What's next??

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Go to the control panel, system, computer name. Do any machines have the same name?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!