1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

duplicated emails on Windows live mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nicebutdim, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nicebutdim

nicebutdim Thread Starter

I have 2 email accounts, both brought into Windows live mail via POP3. One is working normally, the other - which comes via the UK provider 'TalkTalk' has started to duplicate emails in a big way. So each time mail comes in, I'm getting not only the new ones but also literally hundreds of duplicated old emails going back 2 yrs or more and including stuff I had already deleted. Then yesterday after mail had stopped coming into my Inbox I noticed that I was still receiving mail so I checked the pop up box to find that mail was still coming in at warp speed, had reached 12,000 and was still going strong. But as these weren't going into my Inbox, where exactly are they and how can I stop them coming? I've closed down Live mail because until I have a solution I don't want thousands more unwanted emails. It's been suggested that the fault could lie with POP3 and I should change to IMAP. But if that's the case why is the 2nd email account which also uses POP3 still running fine? Any help would be really appreciated as this is a bit of a nightmare ...

2. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
  3. nicebutdim

nicebutdim Thread Starter

thanks very much for that helpful advice - I'll certainly check it out as live mail is just downloading 348,000 emails and still counting!! The thing is, they're not arriving in my Inbox, so where exactly *are* they going I wonder?? Oh, to be technically minded!

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Sounds like you need to log in to your email server through a browser and clean house, including the "Deleted" folder when you get through deleting unneeded email.

5. Floridagal1

Floridagal1

I had a similar situation with Windows Live Mail. It worked fine for several years until early this year when it started going nuts with duplicates. With Microsoft, from the looks of things, trying to kill off the entire Essentials package it looks like time to move on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice