1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Duplication of "MY Documents"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alejandra7, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alejandra7

Alejandra7 Thread Starter

I am having an issue where I used to have My Documents, My Pictures and My Music as my main Libraries. Now it seems like My Documents has a duplication of all of my Pictures, and also vice versa - My Pictures has all of My Documents in it. It is frustrating because I can't move these or delete from one or the other. It doesn't allow me to rearrange these and not have duplicates. I also am worried that if I change a document I pull up in My Documents, it won't show up in My Pictures and then I may use the latest of that document and it's not the most recently revised one.

I don't know how this happened. Very strange. Please help!

2. ETech7

ETech7

Assuming you are using Windows 7: there is no "My" in default library names. Right click on each library and go to Properties. Make sure correct folders are listed in each library.

3. Alejandra7

Thanks so much for your reply. I am using Windows 7. I am really referring to My Documents because I think that's what that directory used to be called (showing all of your documents). However, I don't know what to do when I click on properties - how will that help or how do I fix this duplication problem? The main libraries I am having trouble with are Documents and Pictures. Even though these are separate libraries, it seems like everything in each is duplicated and I cannot stop this. Any suggestions? thanks again for your help.

4. Alejandra7

I did check and uncheck certain folders to be included and it seemed to work to make sure all my pictures were in pictures. However, all the folders say (C) after them - why are they on the C drive? Also, when I tried to delete them from Documents, then they didn't show up anymore in pictures and I had to restore them for them to show up again in Pictures - but they are still also in Documents, which I don't want.

5. ETech7

ETech7

Are you saying that the contents of folders "C:\Users\<username>\My Documents" and C:\Users\<username>\My Pictures" is the same, or the contents of Libraries Documents and Pictures?

6. ETech7

ETech7

Can you post screen shots of Properties of the libraries Documents and Pictures?

7. Alejandra7

doesn't seem to work no matter how I use the print screen key - I can't do it. I am sorry.

8. ETech7

ETech7

click start and type snipping tool

9. Alejandra7

I don't see/have snipping tool....

10. ETech7

ETech7

All Programs/Accessories/Snipping Tools

11. Rearden

Rearden Banned

When you search your hard drive for a single file like a specific picture, do you get 2 files in the results with 2 different paths?

For example, do you see the same file in :
    C:\users\<username>\Documents\Pictures\
    and
    C:\users\<username>\Pictures\

That would indicate some kind of duplication has taken place. If you only see one file in the search results, and it's in one of those folders, then the confusion is likely with the use of Libraries where you could add both your Documents and Pictures folders in your profile to both the Documents and Pictures libraries. Having both folders in both Libraries does not mean you have 2 copies of files.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What locations are included in the Documents library?

What locations are included in the Pictures library?

13. Alejandra7

they appear to be the same files and are duplicates, because if I erase one, it disappears from the other directory.

As to locations both pictures and documents are subfolders under Library, but as I said, they now each contain what the other one has.

Moreover, when I try to create a new library (like Documents Alejandra) and move just documents into it, they disappear completely and it says they are not available at that location.

It is very strange. I am not sure I am helping to diagnose this, and not even sure it happened.

14. Alejandra7

I thought they were copies, but they appear to be the same files and duplicates, because if I erase one, it disappears from the other directory also.
    Moreover, when I try to create a new library (like Documents Alejandra) and move just documents into it, they disappear completely and it says they are not available at that location. This is very strange as normally I have been able to move whatever I want wherever I want.

As to locations both pictures and documents are subfolders under Library, but as I said, they now each contain what the other one has.

Something has happened to how my libraries are set up. It is very strange. I am not sure I am helping to diagnose this, and not even sure it happened.

15. Alejandra7

Attached is a capture I did with snippet of My Documents file. All of my pictures are in it, and I cannot delete these because then they delete from the My Pictures file. What you can't see here is all of my documents which are actually in My Documents; they are below. I would like this directory to ONLY have my documents in it. Maybe this is helpful....

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice