1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dust and 0x0000001E error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by whizz303, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whizz303

whizz303 Thread Starter

Hello,

I had recently been getting the following blue screen error 0x0000001E when running my Athlon 3GHz PC with Windows 2000 Professional SP4. It kept on happening and after reinstalling theOS a number of times i sent it back to the manufacturer to be fixed. They just rang and said that all the hardware is perfectly fine, but there is loads of dust within the PC. Do you think they dust was causing this error? Also my PC is kept near a radiator. Is this safe and could that be a cuase for the crashes and/or dust? Any thoughts on this would be great. Thankyou.

2. Rockn

Rockn

No, blue screen errors are generally caused by software or driver errors. Take out all of the hardware like sound, network cards and install again. Get Windows up and running with a basic set of hardware and the most current drivers for your motherboard and chipset and add from there. Once you start getting the errors again after adding a card you will know what is causing the error.

3. rude

rude

Excessive heat can cause TONS of problems with your computer.You should do a thorough cleaning inside the box at least every 6 months(more often if your computer is in a dusty environment),and definitely move away from the heat register.
    Cleaning instructions can be found here:
    http://www.latis.net.au/resources/smt/clean.htm#2

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Move the computer away from the heat source. I would not think that a computer as new as a 3000+ AMD would have gotten that much dust inside; however if it is in a very dusty environment, it is possible.

Heat can cause all types of problems. I would suggest installing an app called speedfan. It gives a constant readout of processor temp [or any temp you tell it to] it sits down in the tray, so you always have a temp readout. I include speedfan in all of my builds.
    Speedfan

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While processor temp is affected by many things, I like to see an AMD run @45C or less. When they get to 55C, I start to investigate the system's cooling. For your processor, AMD says max temp is 85C.

To test the system, boot into safe mode and run something that will stress the machine like prime95. If it locks up in safe mode, you have a hardware problem. If it runs fine in safe mode, you have a software, tsr, driver problem. If the box locks up in safe mode, pull the side cover and place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. If the problem stops, you have found overheating to be the cause.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice