1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dust!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NeoBix, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

My new system is already collecting dust... ON THE INSIDE!!! lol. :p

How bad is dust for a computer system?

And also, what is it that causes it to accumulate on the INSIDE of the system? You would think that it wouldn't be easy for dust to build up in there when most of the computer is sealed off from the outside.

Does a lot of dust build up in your guys' and gals' computers or is it just me??

I usually use those cans of spray air to get the dust out or I use an air compressor out in the garage which also works pretty good.

But... you know... instead of repeatedly turning to cans of spray and air compressors for my dust problems, I'd rather enforce some prophylactic measures if that is possible. What can I do to KEEP dust out of my computer, instead of dusting it out every couple of months? I don't want a repeat of what I had to go through with my old computer. But if everyone else has to do the same thing with their computers, then I will just keep doing it I guess.

I mean, seriously, am I doing something wrong here? I would imagine that this much dust should not be building up in my computer. And I've only had this computer for about 4 months now. From what I understand, if too much gets into the video card and the processor fans then you can really start to notice while you're using your computer, playing games or whatever. You will notice some sluggishness or graphical glitches and whatnot, which I suppose would be from overheating from all the dust cluttering up the fans, right?

Do I need more fans? Because I have like... I dunno... 8? lol.

What do you guys do to keep dust out of your computers? If that's even possible.

Thanks folks. :p

2. steven1350

steven1350

dust is bad for your computer. it causes various components to become hotter then usual, which decreases performance.

Normally, dust gets inside because some case fans suck air into the case, and some dust goes along for the ride.

Plus, depending on where you store your computer, it can build dst at a much faster rate

3. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Nah, dust gets in everyone's computers. There really isn't a way to stop it (within reason. You could put your computer in like a vacuum chamber and water-cool everything, but come on. No one is really that bored. I've come close, though...).

Cans of compressed air work best- high accuracy, control, not powerful enough to damage anything. I suppose your air compresser in your garage could work, but be sure to use a nozzle that gives you maximum control, and have the setting turned to low.

The dust gets in there because of the fans. While the air is circulating, the dust lands on components, and it builds up. It doesn't really harm anything unless the dust has been collecting for a few years (depending on how clean the air is in your home), in which case, it can cause overheating. When you are adding new components, it would be a good idea to clean that stuff out so it doesn't get in the way of the connectors.

4. scalawag

scalawag

Not to much to be concerned about,tho most of the dust in your house is just dried skin from you and the wife floating around in the air.Maybe even some from the neighbors when they visit.Best thing to do is buy a 4 inch filter for your furnace and run it all the time.Electronic filters dont work that well and if you have that much dander floating thru the air where you use a air compresser i would think about a bubble to enclose myself in.:D

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

In most PC cases air is pulled in from the front and exhausted through a rear case fan and the PSU fan.

On another forum that I frequent, womens panti-hose are mentioned as a good filter material. Stretch a part of the panti-hose over the intake fan (if your case has one), or fashion some kind of filter at the front of the case using them.

You need to remember to clean or replace the filter before it becomes clogged or airflow will be reduced, increasing the case temperature.

And (if you are a guy), remember to tell your wife/mother/sister/girlfriend IN ADVANCE excatly WHY you want their old panti-hose. :D

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Make sure your garage air compressor isn't one that supplies oil with the air. While that's great for air tools, even a little bit of oil in the air can build up inside the PC and cause the dust to stick so that it can't be blown out.

;)Too much oil can also make the electrons slide right off the circuit traces on the motherboard and you could end up with your data written on the inside of your case instead of on your hard drive;)

7. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

lol... hilarious responses. :p

and good information too!

thanks for the advice folks. I've got a better handle on this dust problem now.

now... the real trick is going to be how I will buy women's pantyhose without looking like a perv... hrmmm...

Me: "Hi... umm... yeah... I'm buying this for my... err... computer..."

Salesperson: "Okaaaaaaay... "

lol

:p

8. Flags

Flags

A word of caution about filtering the air entering your computer: A filter will only collect the dust more quickly and will need constant cleaning if you have that much dust in your computer room. Stoping the dust at the filter will cause the fans to induct air from any available opening in the computer case, no matter how small. If you have pets in the house, that makes matters worse.
    Aside from that, any filtering material will cut down on the available air to cool the PC.

About using an air compressor to blow out the dust bunnies: try to hold the fans from turning while you are blowing air into them, otherwise, they may turn so fast, it will burn out the bushings or bearings. One guy, on another form recommended unplugging the fan so that they would not generate a charge and blow something on the mobo. Possible???

Maybe move the computer out of the coal bin and into a room with a linoleum or wood floor.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/661823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice