1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dust

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpotMaxDog, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpotMaxDog

SpotMaxDog Thread Starter

Has anyone ever opened up their case and thought that a colony of dust bunnies moved in? Well, I do.

What is the best way of getting rid of dust inside the computer? I've tried useing cans of air but they tend to run out quicly and are realyl expensive. (It's like selling ice to an Eskimo ;) ) And, is there any way of making sure dust stays out of the computer so I don't have to go in there and throw up a dust cloud?

2. phd_mc2

phd_mc2

The simplest way is to install a filter on the fan. However, keep in mind that a filter will create back pressure on the fan and will drive down the volume of air which may affect your cooling.

There are ways to calculate fan size etc, but way to technical to include here.

3. SpotMaxDog

filter?? where would I get one of those?

4. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi,

I've found that one can of air is good for half a dozen dustings.
    Don't shake the can.

Make sure that your computer is off the floor...on a stand of some sort. At least, 6-8 inches.

And, there is no way to prevent dust accumulation. I just clean them out every 3-6 months.

good luck.

spaceman

5. phd_mc2

phd_mc2

Just type "computer fan filter" or something like that on Google and you'll get some hits.

6. phd_mc2

phd_mc2

Oh, and make sure the fan is blowing air into the case since a filter will do little good if the fan is blowing out of the case.

7. Rattler3

Rattler3

I bought a video card cooling fan (they are on ebay). It blows the hot air out of the pc as well as quite a bit of dust. I can now blow out my pc every 3-4 months and not have a large accumulation in the case, and the dust pile on the outside is doable with a vacuum.

8. Peaker

Peaker

Hi there,

To be honest I find a vacuum cleaner to work best. Just use the thin nozzle attachment and be VERY carefull. No component should really be loose enough to be sucked up anyway. Also a good small paintbrush to brush off the dust as well (if you want to be super duper clean :D

I do believe that over here at least we can buy service kits for PC's that include little vacuum cleaners with a far lower power for use exclusively in PC's.

I dont like the cans of air, I aleways feel they blow out a little moisture as well.

You shoue to pick up one of the service kits for pretty cheap.

Hope this helps,

Peaker.

:D

9. SpotMaxDog

Thanks, I'll ponder these gems of wisdom while I continue to blow the dust out of my computer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice