1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dv camera won't initialize (firewire)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bj nick, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have a belkin firewire card which has worked fine usually. I have a canon dv camera connected to the computer via firewire. I haven't used the dv software in a few months; I bought Pinnacle studio and checked the connections to make sure that it worked ok. The camera connects to the computer fine, and footage captured fine.

now, however, whenI try to capture footage, the computer says that the dv camera "can't initialize." I have tried everything they suggested: turn camera on and off, restart computer, disconnect and reconnet the firewire cable. I reinstalled the belkin card software and it appears to be fine. AT any rate, it says in device manager that the IEEE 1394 bus controller is working fine.

What else can I do? have I missed something?

2. lykaion

lykaion

I have had the same symptoms. I had been able to use Pinnacle Studio v7 to capture/edit video from my Canon DV camera. Some months went by (a few programs installed in the mean time as well as a new DVD-RW drive w/software including Pinnacle Studio v8 se) and now when I try to capture video I receive the 'cannot intialize capture device' error.

But here is an interesting clue - when I use the MS Windows XP applet, Movie Maker, it also responds to video capture attempts with an error message but stating that another application is using the capture device. That being said, when I access the 'configure DV device' option in Movie Maker I am able to control the Canon camera thru the firewire connection (i.e. play, stop, fast forward, reverse the tape).

I've tried all the suggested fixes including reinstalling Windows XP with no success.

3. Rache

Rache Banned

Try uninstalling firewire card driver (windows generic) and installing the Texas one. Sometimes this kickstarts the recogntion process.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried the camera on a different system to see if there's an issue with the camera?

5. lykaion

lykaion

My 'issue' is now resolved. The problem in my case was the video mode used by the Canon DV camera (ZR30MC) on the particular tape I was trying to capture on the Pinnicle Studio 8 software.

Previously I had just used the standard mode (SP) for recording and capturing video. In this instance I had selected the ESP mode in order to get twice as much video (120min) on the DV tape. Apparently attempting to capture DV in this mode will cause the error referencing the failure to initialize. (I seem to recall that the MS Movie Maker applet giving a message referencing something about 'modes'.)

Tech support at Canon led me to the solution by recommending I insert an old tape which I knew the software had been able to capture and see if it still worked, which it did. They then suggested 2 options for getting the video onto the computer hard drive. First I could purchase a special DV to DV firewire cable and copy the video onto another DV camera at the SP mode. This would ensure that the Digital Video quality was not lost in the copy. I tried this but the other camera could not 'capture' the video signal although the audio came through OK. The second option involved dubbing the DV from the camera onto a VHS tape and then recording the VHS signal back onto a DV tape in the SP mode. This option apparently has some video signal loss inherent in the transaction. This worked fine for me. I was just thankful for the ability to get my video of the past summer's family trip to visit my daughter in Africa (Peace Corps, Burkina Faso) on to a DVD.

The frustrating part of this was that neither the Canon owners manual nor the Pinnicle Studio software support mentions this issue or warns a user of the potential problems involved with DV recordings in anything other than SP mode.

So, thanks to those who gave their advice. I hope my experience may help others with a few more ideas to try.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice