1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dv image capture

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by chredge, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

Not too sure if I have posted this in the right section, but,

I want to capture still DV images from my camera (not movies) but software that came with the camera no longer works (for some reason). I have a firewire connection with the camcorder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regards any free software which would allow mw to capture still images from my camcorders memory. I have had a quick search around the interweb but all these DV capture programs only save movies.

What would be my best option.

Thanks,

C h r e d g e.

PS/ Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

2. thecoalman

thecoalman

Do you mean stills from tape? or stills from a memory card?

BTW, if you go to the manufacturers site you should be able to download any software that came with the cam.

3. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

Stills from both.

I'm having difficulties with the makers (JVC) own software as it won't detect my camera although a program called winDV which I've downloaded will (but will only save out .AVI).
    I was just wondering if there were any better programs that will allow me to save out individual images.

C h r e d g e.

4. thecoalman

thecoalman

For stills on a memory card the usual procedure is by using a USB cable. For most cams you just swith it to VCR mode then switch it to the card. Plug the cam into the USB port and it should be recognized as an external drive. Some cams do require that you install a driver. Once you get to that point you just copy the images to your HD. Works like most digital still cameras. This can also be done over the firewire cable... you'd have to check options and specs of your particualr cam.

As far as the DV I'm not aware of any software where you can pick and choose frames of video as it's on the cam. Mine will do that but it comes with a $400 editor. There might be something available, I wouldn't doubt it. If you want to grab stills from the video after it's been transferred there's multiple ways top do that. You could if you wanted grab up to 30 images per second of video relatively easy. Be aware that these are very low quality images compared to a still cam.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice