1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD±RW Drive Works in Linux But Not Windows XP

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by AsheJoe, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AsheJoe

AsheJoe Thread Starter

Hello: A local computer shop built my “dual boot” computer last August. It came with a Lite-On DVD±RW Drive that up until now, has worked just perfectly regardless if I boot into Windows XP-Pro, or Suse 10 Linux, or if I boot from a CD or DVD. So, the drive itself has to be wired properly and working in order to do that ?? However, suddenly it has totally and completely stopped working in Windows XP-Professional, but, the drive works just fine if I boot into SuSe Linux 10 instead of Windows XP-Pro ! It’s as if Windows no longer recognizes the drive ?? According to Windows Device Manager, it’s a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1693S. I have downloaded from LiteOn's website the firmware patch “DR16KSOA”. But when I try to apply the patch, I get the error message that no such drive is present on my machine ?? I have also gone through Control Panel to remove the drive completely, and reinstall it. Same result “No such drive present”. At this point, I’m completely lost as to how to remedy it ? Again, I know the drive has to be working if it functions in Linux and the machine can boot off a CD or DVD inserted into the drive. Any suggestions ??

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have an error code with the drive in Device manager? If so, try this:

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    ------------------------------ cut before this line --------------------------------

3. AsheJoe

AsheJoe Thread Starter

John...... IT WORKED !!!!!

I don't have a clue "why", all I know is that your patch WORKED BEAUTIFULLY !!!!!

I was starting to dread spending this weekend with no other choice than to reformat my hard drive in order to restore the DVD±RW drive to working order. But thanks to your genius.... I can go shopping for a new portable hard drive instead !!!!

If you're ever in the Evansville, Indiana region..... the steak's on me !!!

THANK YOU.... THANK YOU ...... .THANK YOU

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'm glad this was an easy one. I highly recommend the USB external drive for backups. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice